Maya / Vray GPU Projection Mapping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maya / Vray GPU Projection Mapping

I'm having this issue in Vray 5 GPU in Maya 2018.5 - using a place3dTexture node, only Perspective projection works and this doesn't represent what I'm seeing in the viewport accurately. Weirdly, Planar projection doesn't work for me at all which I thought was supported. What I really want to use is the TriPlanar projection which works fine on CPU, but really think this is such a useful texturing method that it should certainly be included on GPU. Please add to the list - happy to send my scene file if this helps!

Could you attach the scene here or alternatively send it to support@chaosgroup.com so we can take a look?
    Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Thanks Aleks,

I attach the scene file here. I've had to downgrade to Vray 4.3 as stability issues were becoming unbearable with Vray 5 / Maya 2018.5 - literally a full bomb-out crash every few minutes while IPR rendering. Downgrading made the scene stable again, so it must be Vray 5 - I did the uninstall / install process twice to be sure.

As I said before, Perspective projection works, but doesn't match what's happening in the viewport. Both Planar and TriPlanar don't seem to work on GPU at all. Please see if we can get this projection working - It will be so important to many people's workflow in GPU.

Many thanks!
      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the provided scene. Not sure what I'm supposed to be looking at, however. You don't seem to have a Projection node in the scene. Could you elaborate a bit? Which texture is going to be projected? Maybe post some screenshots to clarify. Otherwise, I've tested different kinds of projections on a simple scene and indeed not all work as expected or have a correct preview. I'll see to notifying the development of this.

Comment

So sorry Alexs,

I sent you the wrong scene for a different issue I was having - the correct one is now attached with source image included.

I also attach a screenshot to illustrate. The projection in the scene file is Planar which doesn't work and if I change the projection to Perspective I get the result in the screenshot, where it kind of works, but is not corresponding to what I see in the viewport. Thanks for putting this issue forward!
          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the feedback and the provided scene. It seems that the projections do not work well with motion blur on the GPU. I've logged it (internal bug-tracker id: VGPU-5042) for developer analysis. I've described the viewport issue as well.

Comment

Working...
            X