VFB ActiveShade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VFB ActiveShade

Would be nice to view the previews in a separate Vray FrameBuffer because of some color discrepancies depending on the method you use.
    LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
    HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
    Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

Yes, I agree. If you are using a Reinhard colormapping method and you are modifying the burn value, there's no way you can replicate that in the final render with sp3, since gamma is incorrect in the activeshade window. I'm wrestling with RT right now using 4 computers, and I'm starting to think there's no way you can trust what can be seen through an activeshade window.

Is it impossible to show the RT result through a Vray Framebuffer?
    My Youtube VFX Channel - http://www.youtube.com/panthon
    Sonata in motion - My first VFX short film made with VRAY. http://vimeo.com/1645673
    Sunset Day - My upcoming VFX short: http://www.vimeo.com/2578420

Comment

Originally posted by panthon View Post
      Is it impossible to show the RT result through a Vray Framebuffer?
      It is certainly possible to implement this; I've already marked it as something to look into.

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

yes..the whole LWF setup were so used to nowadays in maxes preferences is absolutely useless when you use RT

one way to work around this is to turn the gamma in preferences back to 1 imo but then u have to use the vray RT as a material previewer as u cannot any longer trust material editor....

so its a very dodgy solution indeed...

i wonder how much time would it take to implement this into RT so it fully supports maxes settings (gamma/LUT)??? would love to see this being fixed soon

to me, the RT is not really usefull right now as i have to swith back and forth all the time to check up on things...at least it doesnt work with reinhard completely

best regards
        Martin
        http://www.pixelbox.cz

Comment

Originally posted by PIXELBOX_SRO View Post
          i wonder how much time would it take to implement this into RT so it fully supports maxes settings (gamma/LUT)???
          The ActiveShade view fully supports the 3ds max settings already.

Best regards,
          Vlado

Comment

right Vlado, but how come the brightness/color/gamma differs from the production render???

taken into formula that RT fully supports the GAMMA/LUT preferences...it basically means that its the other way round then....and that is that... something form the GAMMA/LUT preferences has impact on the way RT displays colors....something that does not appear in VFB though
            Martin

Comment

Originally posted by PIXELBOX_SRO View Post
              right Vlado, but how come the brightness/color/gamma differs from the production render???
              It is because the V-Ray VFB itself does not take into account the 3ds Max settings (quite on purpose).

I think that I will rework this a little bit, so that if the V-Ray VFB is turned on in the production renderer, the ActiveShade window will also appear without gamma correction; it would be even better if I manage to do this selectively depending on whether the sRGB button in the VFB is on or off.

Best regards,
              Vlado

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
                It is because the V-Ray VFB itself does not take into account the 3ds Max settings (quite on purpose).
                What was the reason for not affecting the V-Ray VFB?

It would be great if the default Max frame buffer, the V-Ray frame buffer and the ActiveShade window were controlled by the same settings to maintain uniformity when working with all three (the default Max frame buffer when cloning windows from the VRayFB). Is there any way that the V-Ray color mapping Gamma settings could affect all three, so one doesn't have to use the Max gamma settings?

I think that I will rework this a little bit, so that if the V-Ray VFB is turned on in the production renderer, the ActiveShade window will also appear without gamma correction; it would be even better if I manage to do this selectively depending on whether the sRGB button in the VFB is on or off.
                Could this solution also affect the default Max frame buffer in addition to the ActiveShade window?

Comment

Thanks for explanation vlado

i ve just found quite straightforward solution today which allows me to work nicely now with RT (i dont feel like Columbus but more as an idiot that i havent found this option earlier )

i have the max preferences on traditional LWF settings

using reinhard with inverse gamma 0.454 for RT renders and 1.0 for production
                  works like charm
                  Martin

Comment

Best regards,
                    Vlado
                    So is this planned? Can we see sRGB in RT CPU? Doesn't look like it because it's definately darker using LWF. You can save as 2.2 gamma and see it after the fact but you can't see it that way in realtime through the activeshade viewport. So is there another way to preview lighting and materials in realtime using RT the same way the production vray render outputs using LWF?
                    Last edited by cgrande; 30-01-2012, 09:07 PM.
                    Carlos Grande
                    www.hypertecture.com

Comment

This is already done for the latest service packs. However the VFB sRGB button must be already set before you start the ActiveShade render.

Best regards,
                      Vlado

Comment

Thanks. Just getting back into this now and yes it works! Thanks.
                        Carlos Grande
                        www.hypertecture.com

Comment

Working...
                        X