Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RT GPU Production : Buckets rendering

Hi,

I was just wondering if it was possible to get the bucket rendering system.
    I know a lot of people like progressive rendering, but buckets are still really handy.
    They let you see straight the final noise you would get.
    Even if it's implemented in a way where each bucket is actually progressively rendering.
    The final purpose (for me anyways) is being able to see final pixels done, in staid of, a progressive render.

Cheers

Stan
    3LP Team

Hi,

Why you just don't use the region rendering option or the track mouse functions?
    Tashko Zashev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Funny you asked, I actually wrote a whole paragraphe and then deleted it as I wanted to stay condensed in the initial message.

The simple answer is that the track mouse refine a aerea (great) but without never stop (bad).

* If I want to see what the 0.02 or 0.01 noise looks like, I can't. I have to send a crop render and wait for it to finish, do that at 7-10 different parts on the frame.
      Basically you have to send 10 times your render, and load 10 times your scene (who can take quite a while)

* With bucket rendering, you see the final noise, and those pixels will never been touch again during that render.

* Having the white corner on the buckets defines easily what you are rendering, and even if this seems funny, it's actually a feature who is really useful for visual feedback. And for cropping straight where the mouse track of progressive does it round.

* Time approximation could, I guess, be more easily approximated. For the moment I have my render saying it's going to take 350h and after 20 minutes it stops, useless.

* With the mouse tracking and buckets, you can "kind of plan" and "lay down" a queue list of where the buckets will go. I often track my mouse, put 2 buckets on top right, go down left, use 2-3 there, go in the centre, put another 3-4 and that way my 12 cpus are used all over the image but at precise points. And do something else. Once they are done, I can stop the render cause I have the feedback I need. Not feasible with the progressive and mouse track, I have to wait and do it in "real time". When do I do my coffees now?
      And again, I never know when I've hit the noise I want to.

* Often I send a final render, and after few bucket (or maybe half the frame) I notice that the noise is actually either to low (take too long) or to high (I still see too much noise) I stop and start again. It's not possible to asses this with progressive, neither with or without the mouse tracking.

Sorry a bit confusing but I hope you get the idea

Cheers

Stan
      3LP Team

Comment

Working...
      X