Single download for all scans...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single download for all scans...

Hi all - new to VRay and C4D is my primary 3D app. Just signed on with the VRay Collection and have two questions... Is there an option to download the entire vrscan library at once (I think there used to be years ago)? Also, is there a way to bulk load the vrscan files into C4D? So far it looks like materials can only be downloaded one at a time and they have to be loaded individually via a Scanned Material shader. Please tell me that there's a better way
    www.carsonjones.studio

"Also, is there a way to bulk load the vrscan files into C4D?"
    One week ago we had a discussion here about providing helper scripts that do exactly this,and eventually other helpfull stuffs. The tricky point here is that you need nod just the creation of the material node, but also the UV adjustment according some rules.This requires access to the samplesize, that ispossible to be digged out in Maya, but i'm not sure about C4D. In all the cases,we should make it possible,if is not yet.

Comment

Yes, for those who have access to the vrscan library, it would be a huge benefit (arguably essential) to be able to easily have the vrscan library saved for off-line use and also to be able to load them all into the C4D Asset Browser for quick and immediate access. I also use Redshift and Arnold and have extensive material presets for both of these renderers. I'd like to be able to use VRay with the same effectiveness if possible.
      www.carsonjones.studio

Comment

"and also to be able to load them all into the C4D Asset Browser for quick and immediate access" perhaps we are speaking about different things. Loading the entire library as ready to use material nodes is not possible, the RAM would be overloaded. I'm not sure what is the "asset browser" , is it part of C4D or the browser of the VRay material library?

Comment

Originally posted by Ivaylo Katev View Post
          "and also to be able to load them all into the C4D Asset Browser for quick and immediate access" perhaps we are speaking about different things. Loading the entire library as ready to use material nodes is not possible, the RAM would be overloaded. I'm not sure what is the "asset browser" , is it part of C4D or the browser of the VRay material library?
          C4D's Asset Browser saves/stores assets (i.e. models, materials, hdri's, etc.) in a local database that is accessed directly in C4D. I have included a couple of screen captures that show this. It's invaluable when working in C4D. If your team isn't aware of the Asset Browser I absolutely suggest looking to integrate VRay's material presets in a way that will work with the Asset Browser. If there's anything I can do to help please don't hesitate to ask.
          Attached Files
          www.carsonjones.studio

Comment

I see, so i suppose that our C4D integration should provide dedicated implementation of this. The vrscan files contain previev info that is accessible for browsing purposes, but to connect it with the material browser some additional work is needed

Comment

I'll run a quick test later this afternoon where I import a vrscan and try to save it in the Asset Browser. If it saves successfully then an easy approach might be to create C4D scene files that contain only vrscan materials in the Material Manager that users can copy in to their Asset Browser quickly by simply dragging and dropping. Each C4D file containing the vrscan materials could include single categories - for example VRAY_VRSCAN_WOOD.c4d. Another alternative would be to provide the vrscan materials in .lib4d format which can then be directly imported in to the Asset Browser.

Regardless of how the vrscan materials are imported in to C4D's Asset Browser IMO I think it's an essential feature that should be included in the VRay C4D integration. Currently the process of using vrscans is super time consuming since they can only be loaded one at a time and browsing them requires online access via the Scans browser web page (i.e. it's slow and forces the user to leave C4D in order to source a material needed for a project).
              www.carsonjones.studio

Comment

Ran the test - loaded vrscan file (leather in this case) in to the C4D Material Manager. Everything works, although the process of using vrscan files is really not great (see steps below). Once loaded in C4D, copying the Scanned Material in to the Asset Browser transfers everything but the texture image(s). This breaks the preset functionality I'm afraid since texture images (i.e. diffuse, bump, etc.) are also copied in to the Asset Browser database. Currently it seems only the Scanned Material shader sees these files.

What it's like trying to use vrscan files in C4D (i.e. user experience)...

- Leave your project in C4D to navigate to Choas Scans web page

- Open Scans page in browser and search for suitable project material

- download the material by clicking the Download button - saves a .zip file to users folder of choice. Note that it seems materials can only be downloaded one at a time.

- Unzip the material - the vrscan file and any image files are saved to the same folder

- Navigate back to your C4D scene file

- In C4D's Material Manager, add a VRay Scanned Material shader

- In this shader's attributes choose Basic / File and navigate back to where you saved the vrscan file

- the material is now available in the Material Manager for use in your project

- this must be done separately for any Scan material used in your project

Not to put this lightly... this is perhaps the worst material workflow I've seen in C4D to date and I really think it needs to be worked on asap if Chaos is at all serious about supporting VRay in C4D. Again, if there's anything I can do on my end that can help please let me know and I'd be happy to help.
                Attached Files
                www.carsonjones.studio

Comment

OK, thanksfor the info, i will see what we can do about this

Comment

Hi carson_jones, thanks for the feedback. While we will be thinking about improving this user experience, for the time being, you can use the python script attached to my post for importing multiple materials from a directory ( create_vrscan_materials.zip )

To elaborate a bit more about the script - executing it will open a dialog with directory path for the import and an option for including materials from sub directories. After a directory is selected, all .vrscan files from it will be included as separate materials in the currently active scene. You can then save them in the Asset Browser or the legacy Content Browser.
                    Please write if you need assistance with the script.

Just to add several important notes:
                    - Importing many materials might be slow (several seconds per material, depending on hardware). The C4D UI will not be usable while the materials are imported, but the progress will be indicated in the main C4D progress status bar.
                    - Adding the V-Ray Scanned material to either the Asset Browser or the legacy Content Browser might be wasteful of hard disc space. Whenever a scanned material is added to the browser, the actual .vrscan file needs to be copied by C4D in the browser data base and when used back by V-Ray, it has to be copied yet again to be readable by V-Ray. Given that some vrscan files require more than a 100 MB of disk space, this may both slow down initial export for rendering and waste disk space.
                    - Last but not least - with our last official release, the Asset Browser is still not officially supported so importing vrscan files from the browser back to a scene will not work. The fix for this will be included in our next official release, soon. You can also test this with one of the recent stable nightly builds.
                    Deyan Hadzhiev
                    Developer
                    chaos.com

Comment

Working on getting everything in play and will report back. I really appreciate all the great support you all are providing. Thank you!
                      www.carsonjones.studio

Comment

Working...
                      X