Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VrayTriplanarTex: Integrate into ScannedMtl?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VrayTriplanarTex: Integrate into ScannedMtl?

Hey,
    the ScannedMtl needs UV coordinates for the objects it is assigned to, which is fine.
    However, often we get data from the clients that has no UV. Because this is highly tesselated CAD geometry, unwrapping is very hard. Often I resort to UVW map in box mode as a quick fix, which works fine for most materials (carpaint, rubber, plastics with grain, metals). But it came to my mind that the TriplanarTex might work even better, because it blends the seams of the box map. Is it possible to somehow integrate the TriplanarTex into the ScannedMtl for this purpose? I have no idea if this is a good idea at all, because I remember Ivaylo talking about anisotropy, which seems to be very picky about UV coordinates.

Regards

Oliver
    https://www.behance.net/Oliver_Kossatz

Hey Oliver,

Thanks for the comments.
    Let me investigate the possibilities.

Cheers,
    Dinko
    Dinko Dimitrov
    VP VRscans
    Chaos Software

Comment

yes, the anisotropy is really sensitive about the uv mapping, btw if you select the plain strategy to be "average symmetrized BRDF" you can render without any uv maps associated to the geometry

Comment

Originally posted by Ivaylo Katev View Post
        btw if you select the plain strategy to be "average symmetrized BRDF" you can render without any uv maps associated to the geometry
        Yes, sure. But then I loose all the nice surface features that makes the scans so good
        It is just some glossy surface, then.

Comment

Just trying the scans with the trial - really love the results, but a triplanner mode would be hugely useful - especially suited to the nature of the materials.

Comment

well, apparently the triplanar mapping is working only with textures, no chance to make it to accept our material, at least from our side.
            however we can add the same functionality in the "plain material strategy" options

Comment

Yes, we will need to implement the mapping into the material itself...

Best regards,
              Vlado
              I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

That's good news! Thanks guys!

Comment

This would be quite useful
                  www.DanielBuck.net - www.My46Willys.com - www.33Chevy.net - www.DNSFail.com

Comment

i still din't mention it here, but the triplanar mapping is already implemented

Comment

great! is it implemented in an available (nightly) build?
                      Add Your Light LogoCheck out my tutorials, assets, free samples and weekly newsletter:
                      www.AddYourLight.com
                      Always looking to learn, become better and serve better.

Comment

my last info is that the nightlies are frozen or something like that, i.e. only explicitly selected bug fixes are transferred to the build system, and this does not include the triplanar mapoing or other features.

Comment

I'm running the nightly build from today, OS X Maya 2016, I don't see any triplanar options for the scanned material, an I not looking in the right spot?

Comment

i think you are runing stable nightly, it includes critical fixes, but not the new features. but if i'm wrong and you have master nightly, the triplanat should appear in the "plain material strategy" option

Comment

Originally posted by Ivaylo Katev View Post
                              i think you are runing stable nightly, it includes critical fixes, but not the new features. but if i'm wrong and you have master nightly, the triplanat should appear in the "plain material strategy" option
                              hm... maybe I'm looking in the wrong place? the latest nightly I see is from earlier in the year, June, although the stable builds are from this week.

Comment

Working...
                              X