More worn/scratched materials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More worn/scratched materials

First off, great job with the scans you've already provided. I recently bought a few licenses and love messing around with these.

I would absolutely love to see more lightly worn/scratched metals and plastics. I know this can be achieved to a certain extent with blend maps, but having a one-file drag and drop would be great. For me, that would lock me in to renewing these next year!

Thanks a lot Chaosgroup. You're all brilliant.

-Alex

Hi Alex,
    as i understand, you mean materials with realisticly looking deffects, not brushed metals or anisotropic materials?

Comment

Originally posted by Ivaylo Katev View Post
      Hi Alex,
      as i understand, you mean materials with realisticly looking deffects, not brushed metals or anisotropic materials?
      Hey Ivaylo, yea perhaps some scans with just a little bit more variation and imperfections. The entire collection so far is very impressive and I see these scans being end-game solutions for car renderings, some arch viz, and things that need to look super clean.

My favorite is black rubber scan you have on there. The imperfections make it look like a million bucks! I would love to see more like this in the areas of metals and plastics.

Comment

rodger that, thanks for the feedback, we will have this in mind

Comment

Hi just wanted to know if there were any updates on plugging in a map to get scratches and dust? it doesn't work if you plug it into the strength.

Comment

Not yet, in general it's harder than it looks, and very probably would require special scanning device

Comment

In the Vray mtl you can just plug in a dust/fingerprint map into the ref glossiness, why is it so hard with Vray Scan to be able to do that?

I'm just curious by the way, because I love the scans but I need to add just that little bit more realsim with imperfections, there must be a way lol.

Comment

it's not the rendering (perhaps the blend material will do the job), it's about how to obtain this fingerprint, dust, scratch, etc material. Our existing devices can't do this, at least with the quality that is needed for production.

Comment

It would be from a map that I have bought, not from you guys scanning it, but a way for the user to add it in ourselves.

I did a test using the Vray scan mirror and a Vray mtl chrome in a blend material and it seemed ok, but I haven't tested it on any other Vray Scan textures just yet.

Comment

Well, that's why blend material exists, you can combine any materials and scans, it's pointless to add special slot for dust/scratch map into our material, you can achive the same using blend material.
                    But finding proper assets is a bit hard, play a bit with some material and observe the scratches - the behavior is not simple. The dust for example has the property to glow when lit from shallow angle. To represent this you have to build a complicated shader, it's not trivial at all. That's the goal of the scans - to avoid these complicated shaders.

Comment

Working...
                    X