material and feature request.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• material and feature request.

i recently got chaos scans, some very useful materials, and nice and easy to use.

im not sure if there is an "official" place to request specific materials to be added, so ill do it here:

3d printing filament, PLA, PETG, ABS, NYLON, all with nice sss goodness.. very useful when modelling for 3d printed lampshades, i want to see how they will react to being lit from within!

i get a reasonable approximation with the white wax scan, and changing its colour using filter and paint colours seems to work more intuitively than any of the more flexible sss type materials (sss2,scattervolume etc).

on a related note, it would be good to have some kind of multiplier for the thickness of the material for sss effects.

This reminds me that I wanted to collect some nice samples of translucent plastic materials to send over to Chaos for scanning and adding to the library. Materials like these are totally missing right now.
    https://www.behance.net/Oliver_Kossatz

Comment

Sorry for the late reply, but thanks for the suggestion, we will try to find some samples and scan them.

BTW, about your white wax approach - contrary to the intuition, the color replacement produces better results with *colored* base, not white. Good point about the thickness multiplier, we really have to add it
      Last edited by Ivaylo Katev; 21-12-2022, 10:22 PM.

Comment

great, i look forward to seeing some more translucent plasticy materials.. the few you have really seem to work very nicely.

-i will try using the coloured wax as a base next time, thanks for the tip

regarding printing filament, it might be a nice "stretch goal" to have both a clean material sample(for general use) and also an actual 3d printed one, layer lines and all. that way, as long as the layers can be oriented correctly ( not sure quite how "random" the texture randomisation is) you could get a pretty damn realistic 3d printing material.

-i say this because, particularly when backlit, theres a fairly major visible difference between a 3d printed block and a proper injection moulded one, even if the printed one is 100% infill. .
        Last edited by super gnu; 22-12-2022, 01:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X