I received a reply and I think the users deserve to know about the insane practices you guys are implementing.
I don’t give a fucking rats ass anymore about your software. I decided it’s the last year. I won’t be renewing my licenses anymore. I’ve had it.
I have been an active member of this community for a long time. Helping people on the forum with their issues, reporting bugs whenever I find the time, I still have a whole backlog of unreported bugs, but because it takes time to document and find out where the problem exactly is, I haven’t reported them yet. I’m not getting paid for this, I also never received any compensation or hand out for all the work I’ve put into this. Didn’t expect it but it would have been a nice gesture in hindsight.
Anyway. When I was fed up with having to pay for things I don’t need, being stuffed in subscriptions without much choice, it appeared that I could use a V-Ray floating license (the one thing I needed), when I last complained I didn’t want to pay more for a floating license. I received this response:
Regarding your license, I actually have some good news that I believe directly solves your workstation issue: I highly recommend switching your account to our V-Ray Solo tier.
Solo gives you exactly what you are asking for—just the core renderer without the extra bells and whistles. Furthermore, Solo licenses are no longer node-locked to a single computer. They are now “named” licenses, meaning they are bound to your email address rather than a specific machine.
Because of this, you can install V-Ray on both your office and home workstations. Whenever you switch locations, you simply sign in with your Chaos account on the computer you are currently using. This gives you the exact flexibility you need to move between your two workstations without having to pay for the Premium floating tier.
So I switched to Solo, perfect for what I need apparently. BUT not really, they failed to mention the following. This is the reply I now got from support, regarding the issue I described above:
The problem is that you have a V-Ray Solo license, which does not allow you to separate the node from the gui license. In that case, it was the part of the workstation license that remained engaged; hence, you cannot use the V-Ray ,Universal either even tho it is not actually engaged.
Unfortunatelly this is how the solo license is setup.
Really now? I was not made aware of this. There is no information on the website or store that I could find about this, or it’s buried somewhere deep in some fine print. I already complained about the unclearness of the store, and it was going to be fixed but we’re a year later or so and it’s still the same unclear mess. So if someone can point me to where that information can be found, by all means direct me to it.
Also, I would appreciate it if support didn’t contact me through email in response to a public post. Future users should be aware of the limitations of your different licenses, because you fail to disclose them through your support or on your website.