Custom plugin for USD and Solaris

Hello!

I’m developing a plugin for VRay similar to the VRay-Standalone vray_outputtest example. My plugin currently works fine in VRay-Standalone if I manually insert it in a .vrscene before rendering.

I have also created a USD API schema in order to use this plugin and set its parameters on a RenderSettings prim in Solaris. The schema is registered and works fine. However, I can’t figure out how to translate this schema to something which VRay can use to register my VRayPlugin when rendering.

I’ve looked at the hdVRay_plugin_MyPrim example in the VRayHoudini sdk samples, but this is only for registering Geometry plugins, if I’m not mistaken? I’ve tried to implement my plugin similar to this example, i.e. as a custom prim with a HdRPrim adapter, but this does not seem to work. The adapter is registered and my plugins are found (confirmed with TF_DEBUG=PLUG_*), but my custom prim is never invoked or added to the scene.

Do you reckon this is possible currently, or are there other methods I can use to register my plugin at render time?

Thanks!

> but this is only for registering Geometry plugins, if I’m not mistaken?

Yes, only for geometry.

> but this does not seem to work​

If example plugin works for you then you’ll have to figure out whats the issue on your side.

> and set its parameters on a RenderSettings prim in Solaris​
> Do you reckon this is possible currently​

So, V-Ray is supposed to create some plugin out of some parameters on the render settings primitive? No, this is not possible.
​