I was so happy to see the material editor beind added to rhino, but it doesn’t seems to work yet, I guess that’s because it’s the preview / wip? I cannot select any materials ( textured or not) when opening the material editor.
Anyway looking forward to this addition, that will definitly push the quality in Rhino, thanks for the work!
This unfortunately is final. We couldn’t find a way to track all changes done in Rhino. So we made the material editor block the viewport to prevent Rhino and Enscape from going out-of-sync.
No, the Rhino 5 SDK is lacking a few methods that we need to properly map the materials to their objects.
In native Rhino you need to switch the materials to the Enscape type, but we decided to not use the integrated UI as it is very limited. Instead you can modify all Enscape materials by opening the material editor window via the toolbar or command “EnscapeOpenMaterialEditorCommand”
@Simon_Weinberger I found the material editor, my toolbar wasn’t updated. I don’t know how to say it diplomatic, but the material editor and the usage doesn’t looks like I would expect a render plugin. I’m disappointed.
Here an example how the Octane guys implement her materials to Rhino, the full Rhino functionality of the Rhino material editor is be used. Only I can hope that the implementation can much more improved.
@Micha , sorry to hear that you’re not satisfied with the way our material editor for Rhino works yet. You can gladly give me some further detailed feedback regarding what you’d like to see changed/adjusted/added and I’ll forward it accordingly.
I’m glad to hear we can talk about the material editor, I thought it’s final.
The Octane render plugin is a good example of a good implement material editor. Rhino materials and Octane materials can be used sided by side. The access isn’t possible per object properties, but the edit button allow to quick jump to the material editor.
I suppose so if the material Rhino material editor is used the problem of the blocked viewport will be solved.
An other way to implement a material editor is to write an own material editor from the scratch, but this is really a lot of work to get all the little functions working. For example VfR did it.
A third way is to ignore a material editor and to support materials only (like done by AIR). Here the material exist in a parallel universe at the object properties. Per default the AIR material are using some basic Rhino material properties.
Check out how to acquire our latest preview here! If you want to adjust your materials through our newly implemented material editor, you’ll first have to set the type in Rhino itself, for the materials you want to edit, to Enscape:
It looks like Chrome metals are broken? As soon as you make them 95% glossy or less they turn black. Although when rotating the scene you will see glossiness until you pause.