Problems i found

Hello, every 2 or 3 months I buy a license ENSCAPE to test the novelties and see the improvements. Here is a small report of the few errors that I have seen.

All images are screen capture.

_The shadows on this facade are good but arrived on the glazing the shadow roughly pixelizes on the edges.


WdNrRz1.jpg

_The objects of the new library (very good idea), especially the trees, have a reflection in the shape of balls. Look at this picture, the reflection of the fir branches.


kVcn2L3.jpg

_The two female characters in seated position, are not at the right scale, they do not touch the chair. They deserve to be reduced.


ohhmKi5.jpg

_The hard distant shadows end up disappearing.


6x78Gjr.jpg

Enscape is a great affordable software 8o . I’d like to see some options like an edge straightener and parallax if that’s possible. Thank you <3

Excuse my english, i’m French, this text is a google translation.

I just scale the seated people as needed.

@signpluspro , thanks a lot for your post. :slight_smile:

Pixelated shadows on half-transparent windows are normal, and we also recommenced using full-transparent materials for windows since this would avoid this pixelation behavior altogether. Generally, half-transparent materials are a lot harder to render in real-time and they also won’t look as good (since they are not “physically correct”), so I hope using fully-transparent materials in that case is an option for you. :slight_smile:

Reflections of vegetation are generally highly simplified to reduce performance cost. Otherwise, if we were to render them in reflections as is, it would be very likely that you would experience lagging, even if you’d be using a decent graphics card.

I’d advice to just scale the characters as needed. There are of course many chair-models available, each with their own size, so even if we were to reduce the size of these characters, they would not fit on some other chairs in return. :slight_smile:

This is also normal and there to reduce performance costs. :slight_smile: If you want to increase the distance of shadows further, let me know and I’ll file it as a feature request.

Yes please. We at least need an override for situations like aerial views. After a couple hundred meters, the shadow of trees change from sharp to very blurry instantly. I have submitted this to support about a year ago and it was called a bug. It is too distracting to be usable. Even if we could override to only show the very blurry version of shadows, this would not be great but possibly acceptable. Currently it looks like a glitch, that is impossible to overlook, and if one decides to use that image he must put a disclaimer on it (which is unprofessional of both Enscape and the archiz person creating the image)

Have you tried the current preview version? We did put some effort into improving the shadows. Here a some tests with the current preview:

I have… and it is currently still and issue.

I have rolled back to 2.3.0.206 which is the last usable version for me for other reasons (clarity in details mostly, and I also prefer the lighting quality). I will have to reinstall the latest if you need a test image from me.

If you would like to reproduce the exact scenario, it is quite simple. Create a camera at a height of ± 100’ looking in the distance. Copy a line of trees from near the camera to 2000’ feet away or so. You should see a very clear distance where the shadow go from crisp to very blurry. The angle of the sun also affects how far the change happens from the camera.

Do you have a screenshot illustrating your problem? I am confused that it got worse. There can be some minor inconsistencies since we use a solution called cascaded shadow maps, which uses a lesser resolution at larger distances, but that should be offset by the reduction of view angle.

To test your problem I setup a scene, and could not reproduce it:

Very interesting… not at all what I was experiencing.

Unfortunately I did not save any of those images as they were unacceptable to me, and from my previous discussions with support was under the impression this was a known issue. I will reinstall the latest and send to you.

This is with the latest preview… 2.4.2.2392. As you can see there is a very clear change from sharp to blurry shadows on my end. I am going to send this file via feedback now.

Thank you for your effort, we will have a look at it. The effect is expected, but not at that severity.

Again thank you for your report. Your scene shows there is a bug in our code, I created a ticket and we will address the issue. As you can see the higher resolution shadows are not used optimally.

@Sean_Farrell

I have tested this shadow bug with recent versions, and it seems to not have been fixed yet. Any ETA?

Thanks

@renderwiz , this will be resolved with Enscape 2.6. :slight_smile: ETA is about 2-3 months.

Thank you for the update.

… only for dummies like me: ETA means “Estimated Time of Arrival”

had to google something to figure out what the heck is ETA 8o :slight_smile: