Randomized Temp. for Vray lights

Hi.
Just wondering if there is a “simple” way to assign some map to the colour\temp of a vray light (plane in this case) where you can randomly vary colour and intensity. In my case I’d want slight variations of a warm indoor lighting.
Can the vraymultisubtex work here? What randomization option needs to be used?

Could be done with some clever scripting. I’ve resorted in the past to using a random selection script to grab chunks of lights, make them unique and change their temp, then repeat for other chunks across the set. But I’m sure there’s a dynamic way to control this with maps somehow. Would love to hear people’s suggestions.

You could try a vray multisubTex map and set the random to “random by node handle”

failing that try something like this. Select the lights and then…

for light in selection do light.color_temperature = random (minTemp, maxTemp)

Thanks.
I will try both. I hope the “map” way works as it is a bit more dynamic.

Well it seems using a map on instanced lights is a complete no-go. Tried all the modes in the map, but no effect.
Ended up using the scripted method.
Might add this to the wishlist later

Hi trixian, hoping this script will help you.

download link: http://isdesignsolution.blogspot.com/p/maxscript.html

Hi Trixian,
Thanks for reporting back. That’s good to know the map method doesn’t work.
Cheers
p.

Get the modzorb script from Jordan Walsh.
It does A LOT of randomisation and other things on materials/lights/objects/everything!
I can’t recommend it enough.

http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/modifier-modifier-zorb

Ideally i wanted all my light to be instances, so randomization happens through the map. Now i have 358 unique vraylight planes :roll:
But it does work…

Ouch, just don’t try to load the light-lister!