Translucent backlit material

Hi there,

Love Enscape, but I’m having trouble setting up material and lighting in Rhino for backlit translucent glass that looks opaque during day time, similar to the reference image attached. Any pointers will be very helpful, thanks!


Hi @kel830 , thank you for your request.

I’ve tried to recreate a backlit translucent material that looks opaque during day time, but the “glass” you see in the first picture is a kind of “frosted glass” material, which we don’t have available in Rhino yet, but it’s on our agenda so your voice has added a further upvote to it. :slight_smile:

What I did is, create a Box in Rhino and add a self-illuminating material to it and a further box, which is a bit bigger so that it surrounds the self-illuminating box, to which I applied some transparency. You can try that, maybe this is already what you’re looking for, but keep in mind that it won’t have the opaqueness of frosted glass. If you have any questions regarding my procedure, please let me know!

@Demian_Gutberlet Frosted glass is working at Rhino, but you need a quite low glossiness for a visible effect some times.

It’s a pity that no emissive effect can be added to the frosted glass like it can be done for metal. It could help @kel830 .

Workaround - render the image several times with different materials and mix it up in photoshop.

@Micha , thanks for noticing! @kel830 , you can put “frosted” as keyword into the name of your material and add some transparency to get glass with opaqueness.

@Micha , or @kel830 ,If you wish, I’ll gladly file a feature request to allow you to use Self-Illumination with Transparency, just let me know if you want to add anything further to it.

Thank you. It’s a quite important wish and missed a lot, but I afraid it will fall under “transparent emitters will not be supported”. But maybe the time will come … . :wink:

I guess the best way to achieve a frosted glass is create a simple glass and after using a properly bump map. Works really fine.

@frankissimo I tested it here for a glass door at my current model - only I get a light effect. I used a noise texture and I can’t set more than 100% bump.

@Demian_Gutberlet Also I tried “frosted” at my current project, also the glass door, and also at 3% glossiness I get a light frost effect only. Could you check it too please? If you don’t find a trick, please set it on the bug list.

@Micha , I’ve filed your feature request to allow emissive transparent materials accordingly.

Further, could you please send me a screenshot of the “light frost effect”? I’ll need to take a look at that. :slight_smile:

I sent you an email.