vray 3.1 distributed rendering - file to big ?

Hello,
still trying vray 3.1 with maya 2016, I found a problem in distributed rendering that I could not solve yet.
I set up 2 PCs (Windows 7) as render-slaves.
Everything works fine with projects small enough.
But when I work with bifrost, the projects grow bigger.

Now comes the problem:
When the *.vrscene file grows bigger than about 4 GBytes, the render-slaves are running on an error and are rendering only black buckets.
The Master (the pc initiating the render job) works fine and renders its buckets okay, but the buckets rendered by the slaves stay black.
The problem exists when I renders directly from maya and also when I render from command line with a batch file (*.bat)

If the *.vrscene file stays smaller than 4 GBytes, everything is okay, when it exceeds 4 GBytes, the problem ist there.
When I divide the render-project in several files (e.g. frame 1 to frame 30, then frame 31 to frame 60 …) so every file stays smaller than 4 GBytes, it works fine.
The problem is … I can not compute how big the files will grow before I create the *.vrscene file from maya.

Is this a known issue ?
Is there a solution known ?

Thanks a lot
Ingo

Hello,

Is it possible that you don’t have enough space in your temp folder, where the VRscene file is transferred? Also could it be a file system problem? Do you use NTFS?

Best regards,

Hello,
yes, I use NTFS.
Space left on the disk: Slave_1: 306 GBytes, Slave_2: 824 GBytes.
Thanks
Ingo

Hm, it is possible that we have some variable somewhere along the way that is still 32-bit. If you export the .vrscene file and then render with V-Ray Standalone from the command line, is it ok?

Best regards,
Vlado

No,
same problem.

Export to a .vrscene file …
file is smaller than 4 GBytes → okay
file is larger than 4 GBytes → not okay.

Thanks
Ingo

Hi,
what I also could find out:
The problem occours directly while vray transfers the file to the DR-slaves.
The slave starts receiving the file normally and the moment the transferred data exceed 4 GBytes, the render-slave stops receiving so the received file (in the temp folder) is cut.
Maybe it helps on searching the bug.
Thanks
Ingo

Hello,

We managed to reproduce the issue here - it’s a bug. I’ve logged it in our bug tracker and we’ll post in this thread when we have more info on that.

Thank you,

Okay,
thanks.
So we will stop our tryout and wait until the problem is solved.
Dividing the render-jobs in several files or rendering with one file every frames eats to much time.
Waiting for the solution.
Thanks
Ingo

Hi,

did you already find a solution ?

Hello,

Not yet, unfortunately. When we have something on that we’ll let you know.

Best regards,

Okay thanks.
It was my boss who asked if we can buy now or not.

He will be on holiday until September 15th.

So … take your time. :slight_smile:

Ingo

Hello,

Just wanted to let you know that this issue is now resolved and the fix will be available in the next update.

Best regards,
Georgi

Okay, thanks.

Do you have an idea when the next update will be released ?

Best regards
Ingo

We are not able to provide any time frames for this release yet.

The issue is fixed in the stable 3.10 nightlies. If you don’t have an access, write an email to the support.