The VRScene docs talk about it being used for the standalone renderer and for getting stuff into Maya.
Can it also be used as a VrayProxy on steroids? (Since it stores a large amount of objects and the materials too.) Basically I’m wondering whether it can be used in lieu of an Xref Scene? Perhaps it is being more memory efficient for renderings (similar to Proxies)?
Is this a practical usage, or is not intended for this?
If I take a max file that has regular geometry and VrayProxies -- will it create a file with everything or will the Proxies not translate?
I don’t see any reason to not use the vrscene node for this scenario. You will have everything ready to render similar to the V-Ray proxy, but with shaders, lights…
You can also have V-Ray proxy file involved in this workflow.
Is it more memory efficient when rendering (like Vray Proxy)? Is it also slower to render (also like VrayProxy)?
@ DPS, I don’t have time to do much testing right now, so if you discover any Pros and Cons, please let us know.
(Edit: I just actually did try one quick test -- exporting an animation rather than just a static scene. File size was HUGE so I’m not sure that’s too practical.)
Whilst you can do it right now you will give yourself some limitations unfortunately… things like using objects in includes/excludes. Or in multimattes…