SAAB commercial entirely done in VRay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Da_elf
    sorry, my bad, checked it on the net. it was actually a nina simone song in thomas crown affair
    the song you hear is a nina simone song. called blackbird.
    it was remixed with a peace orchestra song to get to the result you see here
    throb
    vfx supervisor
    http://throb.net

Comment

I did a higher res version of the commercial here :

http://throb.net/blackbird/

enjoy!
      throb
      vfx supervisor

Comment

Do you think you will be doing a behind the scenes piece of this spot?

We just finished a spot and qmc gi was all we used.

qmc gi is becoming more and more viable now with the latest render boxes.

congratulations again.

V Miller

Comment

You utter bastard

I'm doing a test saab spot at the moment and odds on that your on is gonna be far nicer

Comment

Originally posted by vance3d
            Do you think you will be doing a behind the scenes piece of this spot?
            we're working on a behind the scenes now. should be ready in a few weeks. a little making of as well as interviews with people involved in the project (me, the DP, the storyboard artist) will be included.
            throb
            vfx supervisor

Comment

Thanks for those qmc settings, will give 'em a try.

Look forward to the 'making of'.

Rob.
              .:www.mcphersonyachtdesign.com:.

Comment

that will be a cool "behind the scenes". I look forward to seeing it.

I'd love to get an idea the of what the workflow for the exteriors was.

V Miller

Comment

V Miller
                  you gave me a good idea...
                  get me some things you guys wanna see and we can talk about it
                  throb
                  vfx supervisor

Comment

V Miller
                    Hey Vance,

The exteriors (tree shots) were pretty basic. All the trees and the snow banks on the sides of the road were rendered in one pass. As Rob mentioned, we had upwards of 280 million polygons just for the trees.

We used Vray proxy's for the trees that were hand placed onto the displaced snow terrain. Each Tree was on average 275,000 polygons. They had to be so dense because Vray Proxy objects do not displace at render time, so we I had to bake in the displacement.

Lit using a single HDRI, 3D motion blur, QMC primary with Lightcache for secondary bounces. Adaptive QMC settings at 1/25 with .004 Color threshold on average.

Rob didn't mention that we had only 3-4 dedicated 3D artists on this project at any time, and 3 compositors working on it for around 7-8 weeks from concept to conpletion.
                    Greg Tsadilas
                    VFX Supervisor/CG Supervisor

Comment

Originally posted by Morbid Angel
                      wooooooooow...............very very nice! love it!
                      Thought the windows were a tad too reflective, but whatever, overall its fricking awesome!!!!
                      Dimitry, that's where the physcially acurate and artistic interpretation collide.
                      Greg Tsadilas

Comment

very nice job guys. i really dig the mood esp in the forrest and on the lake. great stuff!

Regards,
                        Thorsten

Comment

Greg,

did you pre calc the LC for those tree shots or generate a new one every frame? And why not just go with QMC for both primary and secondary aside from maybe lack of time?

Rob,

I'll think about what I'd like to see but one thing that comes to mind is your method for doing the lights on the car. this is something that has always been a problem to get to look right. Was your solution mostly a compositing thing or did you do some tricks in 3d for the headlights and the blue tail lights?

thanks,

Vance Miller

Comment

Looks beautiful. The forest scene came out great. Lots of fun. Funny that you guys used Terragen to generate the HDR image. I'm working on techniques for doing that as well with Terragen and VUE. Glad to see it can work.
                            Steve Burke
                            www.burkestudios.com

Comment

did you pre calc the LC for those tree shots or generate a new one every frame? And why not just go with QMC for both primary and secondary aside from maybe lack of time?
                              I'd also be interested in knowing this.
                              Would you be kind enough to give an indication of the settings used for the LightCache because i seem to find it hard to avoid flickering when using QMC/LC for moving object animations.

That dog by the way is just superb...

Comment

Vance,

No, the Lightcache was calculated every frame for all the shots except several of the interior garage shots. Time is always the factor...and the reason we opted for LC on secondaries.

The lights on the car are pretty much rendered as you see them. The trick behind that is having the geometry of all the reflectors/lenses/bulbs/etc for the lighting assembly. Having all that physically acurate detail allows you to attribute the glass, chrome, lights, and have them render and look acurate.

I did cheat on the "illuminated" bluish-green tint of the glass covers by using a VrayBlend between the glass and a light material...that was an artistic choice more than anything.

Regards,

Greg

Greg,

Rob,

I'll think about what I'd like to see but one thing that comes to mind is your method for doing the lights on the car. this is something that has always been a problem to get to look right. Was your solution mostly a compositing thing or did you do some tricks in 3d for the headlights and the blue tail lights?

thanks,

Vance Miller
                                Greg Tsadilas

Comment

Working...
                                X