No announcement yet.

Some other things we are working on...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks very nice, but you gotta stop adding more stuff to 1.5 I've been using vray for a VERY long time now, and I've only paid once, and since then I've got MANY new features.. so PLEASE start asking for some more money, I'll gladly pay as long as it goes to more devlopment and not a 6 month vacation for all Chaos employess to New Zealand.

You guys are doing the exact opposite of Autodesk.. They keep making new .0 release without anything new in it of real value, but I still have to pay them all the time.

(I bought vray in 2002.. 6 six ago!!)
    Last edited by suurland; 28-10-2008, 01:33 PM.
    www.suurland.com
    www.cg-source.com
    www.hdri-locations.com

Comment

Originally posted by suurland View Post
      Looks very nice, but you gotta stop adding more stuff to 1.5 I've been using vray for a VERY long time now, and I've only paid once, and since then I've got MANY new features.. so PLEASE start asking for some more money, I'll gladly pay as long as it goes to more devlopment and not a 6 month vacation for all Chaos employess to New Zealand.

You guys are doing the exact opposite of Autodesk.. They keep making new .0 release without anything new in it of real value, but I still have to pay them all the time.

Exactly. What does volumetric lights have to do with a service release since they were never in there before? Of course, I love something for nothing but it's getting a little ridiculous. I also find it amusing that I am continually upgrading hardware (renderfarm, new workstations) and software (Max, Autocad, Photoshop, AE, etc) - probably in excess $15,000 over the last couple of years - just to be able to generate images from VRAY which I have only paid for once ($895 if memory serves me).

Thanks for your hard work as always.
      www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

So basically, you are saying that chaos should adopt the Autodesk doctrine when it should be the other way around. This may be new, but a lot of features could have been there in the first place.

And another thing is, if some other renderer comes along that has all of these features implemented, why should i upgrade if i can get a whole different package with all the bells and whistles?
        Dusan Bosnjak
        http://www.dusanbosnjak.com/

Comment

For sure not saying they should be anything like Autodesk, just saying that Chaos deserves the money, they have been giving me everything for 6 years now, Vray might be the piece of software I own where the ratio between what I paid for it and what I've earned is the best.

Maybe they should set something up like coldplay, where you can pay whatever you want for the upgrade, or not pay at all.
          www.suurland.com
          www.cg-source.com
          www.hdri-locations.com

Comment

thats ...unfair, unreasonable to say the least!

all the development which u use in production everyday is much more then i paid for long time ago!
            not to mention the incredible support!
            everything has a price, and (even though time is not the best )
            i too think chaos should get payed!

though i have to admit i love all these free toys!

Nuno de Castro

www.ene-digital.com
            nuno@ene-digital.com
            00351 917593145

Comment

wholeheartedly agree with suurland. Vray has been fantastic value. If it meant more resources for development to keep Vray ahead of the competition, I wouldn't resent a paid update at all.
              www.peterguthrie.net
              www.peterguthrie.net/blog/
              www.pg-skies.net/

Comment

Originally posted by pailhead View Post
                So basically, you are saying that chaos should adopt the Autodesk doctrine when it should be the other way around. This may be new, but a lot of features could have been there in the first place.

And another thing is, if some other renderer comes along that has all of these features implemented, why should i upgrade if i can get a whole different package with all the bells and whistles?
                Good heavens NO. If chaos was adopting an autodesk strategy we'd be on vray 2009 by now and we'd have less features than there are right now. There is a happy, and fair, medium however. Chaos is developing software for a profit and I see no reason why they can't charge for it. Just because they could have put volumetrics in there in a prior version doesn't mean it has to be a free upgrade. You bought the package knowing full well that they weren't in there and to suggest that they should be free just because they're in another package is crazy. If Chaos chooses to release these updates for free I say "great - bring 'em on" if they don't and instead choose to roll them into "2.0" I also say "great - bring 'em on".

When I bought 1.09 I was a promised free upgrade to 1.5 when it was released - ultimately 2-3 years later. Prior to 1.5 release, Chaos began transitioning to the dongle system for a nominal fee and I could not believe the furor over it with people saying we were promised a free upgrade (I believe you had to pay for shipping). At the time I argued that they should just release one of the 1.49 (pre dongle) versions as "1.5" and end it there. There were so many new and improved features in the 1.4x versions that it bore very little resemblance to the original software I purchased. It seems they are still keeping the free upgrades coming which is great but I see no reason why they need to keep this up. Granted if they then start charging for a new "release" every six months I'll be the first to cry foul.
                www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

Vray might be the piece of software I own where the ratio between what I paid for it and what I've earned is the best.
                  Without a doubt this is the case for me.

OT: For what it's worth I'd say the next is the whole Adobe production studio. For ~$1500 I get photoshop, AE, Premiere, Illustrator, flash,... Perhaps they are not the most highend solutions available but in terms of value they do everyhting that I need across mutliple areas with good features, decent upgrades, and fairly good support. Compare this to 3dsmax-$3400 or AutoCAD-$4000.

Comment

I'll gladly pay as long as it goes to more devlopment and not a 6 month vacation for all Chaos employess to New Zealand.

When Chaos comes to New Zealand... Make sure you come and visit..

Here's the map: (Made with VRay of course)

http://www.buildmedia.co.nz/contact.htm - while you're there, check out the caustics on the "About" page!
                    Hey, I need a job...

http://givealajob.com

Comment

Because buying the upgrade will be a hell of alot cheaper than buying a new renderer license? Like a client telling you they don't want to pay for unreasonable changes and would rather they pay someone to make the whole thing again with changes integrated.

Comment

Nobody is saying they should implement autodesk doctrine, we are just feeling maybe they arent getting what they deserve, ohh and maybe u should try maxwell then if ur not happy with vray

Comment

I.... I love you.
                          MDI Digital
                          moonjam

Comment

hi Vlado, good news!!! i Waiting for long times...

One question: it's possible select the light for the "fog effect"? Or the "fog" is for all the light in the scene?
                            www.francescolegrenzi.com

VRay - THE COMPLETE GUIDE - The book
                            Corona - THE COMPLETE GUIDE - The book

--- FACEBOOK ---

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
                              It is only a service pack after all; rewriting Terragen will likely take more time

Best regards,
                              Vlado
                              Whaaaat!
                              Really?!?
                              Lele
                              Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
                              ----------------------
                              emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
                              The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Niceee Tired of making volume caustics in mentalray. HeHe
                                I just can't seem to trust myself
                                So what chance does that leave, for anyone else?
                                ---------------------------------------------------------
                                CG Artist

Comment

Working...
                                X