GPU benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey,

I have a rig with 3 Titan X GPUS. Does anyone know if there will be issues running these a long side a 1080? Or would it be better to buy another Titan X?

Seems like a very bad time to be buying Titans becasue tehy have gonned more rare in the UK and have gone up in price by around £100 recently.
    Director & 3D Artist at Focal CGI

Comment

• Speed and compatibility wise you're fine, but RAM will be limited by the card with the lowest amount, in your case then the 8GB of the 1080. If I was you, I'd probably spend the additional bucks for another TitanX, as then you'll still benefit from the 12GB and not "throw away" the extra 4GB of the Titans.
      This signature is only a temporary solution

Comment

• Originally posted by Sushidelic View Post
        That's kinda sad news, was still hoping that the raw power was yet to be unleashed... Anyway, it's blazing fast, costing less and - more important - way less TDP than a TitanX. 8GB vs. 12GB is the big drawback, let's hope that there's gonna be a 16GB version of a Pascal based Titan, as it looks like there's room for twice the RAM installed on the PCB of the 1080 already. Right now, rumors are, those slots are only reserved for their Quadro lineup, but who knows. Else it might take till late 2017, that real new gaming devices will touch base, so investing in a bunch of 1080ies seemed not too wrong.
        Could well be that I show up a little bit more on the forum in the near future, as I used to do in the very early days of V-Ray CPU - imho things are changing again, like going from 32bit OS to 64bit, or like the change from 16bit int to EXR float images. GPU is massive, and it will change the market. 20x less energy is only one small side of things. In ten years, rendering on CPU will be similar like still rendering out to TGA. CPU is dead.
        Exactly how i feel, glad i am not the only one.

When you hit render on 7 x 1080 you know future is here, yes there is few drawbacks but nothing that some compositing can't fix, which is ironic since composite isn't supported

Comment

• Compositing RT GPU renders ? Should work fine.

Best,
          Blago.
          V-Ray fan.
          Looking busy around GPUs ...
          RTX ON

Comment

• I was referring to composite material.

Hm, just checked and it is supported, but there is some lines on tiling, what is that?

Edit: just checked material, color correction was on bump and that isn't supported that is why i got lines over UV tiling.

Anyhow: whooohooo
            Last edited by Ivan1982; 08-07-2016, 12:56 PM.

Comment

• Matte properties (Matte obj, Alpha -1, affect shadow, affect alpha, etc?) are supported now?
              Stan

Comment

• Originally posted by Sbrusse View Post
                Matte properties (Matte obj, Alpha -1, affect shadow, affect alpha, etc?) are supported now?
                It is about Composite mtl being supported.

Matte properties is something we are looking at as we speak now. Have to wait to see if our new approach will turn out to work well.

Best,
                Blago.
                V-Ray fan.
                RTX ON

Comment

Matte properties (Matte obj, Alpha -1, affect shadow, affect alpha, etc?) are supported now?
                  Working on it...

Best regards,
                  Vlado
                  I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

• Great great news... Mattes not working is the most annoying issue for us on RT GPU. Glad to hear you're on it! :love:
                    This signature is only a temporary solution

Comment

• Has anyone run the 2.0 benchmark with VRay 3.4? I've got a new 1080 that is giving me significantly different times than what are listed by others, about 18min to render.

Comment

• I know I ran my GTX 1080 Super Clock against my Titan X super clock using Redshift, and it didn't do too well. And my Titan X was also the main display card and still killed it. Definitely not as fast as the Titan X

Comment

• I've got a 2 x 1080 setup.

watching gpuz, I've found the 1080 with one monitor plugged in i get about 1700mhz, and the other with no monitor 1500mhz.

is there a TCC mode or similar that will get full speed without plugging a monitor in?

Comment

• Originally posted by CRD View Post
                            Has anyone run the 2.0 benchmark with VRay 3.4? I've got a new 1080 that is giving me significantly different times than what are listed by others, about 18min to render.
                            The older results were made with different V-Ray version, that had a bit different way of calculating noise (this was perviously to adding the image sampler with progressive noise threshold). Comparing makes sense if you use same V-Ray versions. 1080 is more or less as fast as Titan X (Maxwell) with RT GPU.

is there a TCC mode or similar that will get full speed without plugging a monitor in?
                            There is a TCC mode for 1080, but I haven't measured if it gives any performance benefit.

Best,
                            Blago.
                            V-Ray fan.
                            RTX ON

Comment

• ah ha, TCC?
                              Stan

Comment

ah ha, TCC?
                                Not sure what's the question.