Clear All

• Sorry I wanted to ask what the TCC mode is
    Stan

Comment

• Maybe Tesla compute cluster mode?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sbrusse View Post
        Sorry I wanted to ask what the TCC mode is
        NVIDIA have two dirver modes in Windows - WDDM and TCC. WDDM means "windows display driver mode", TCC "tesla compute cluster".
        TCC works for many non-tesla GPUs as well.

Basically what it does is turning off the video output capabilities of the GPU and making it compute only device. It helps if you don't see your GPUs in remote desktop when they don't have monitors attached, for example.
        There are some claims that TCC can also provide faster computing. My tests so far are showing no change in the performance.
        When in TCC, many performance monitor tools do not work, so you will have to find a way around that (I did simple console one for this case at home ...).

Best,
        Blago.
        V-Ray fan.
        Looking busy around GPUs ...
        RTX ON

Comment

• Great explanation, thanks a lot
          Stan

Comment

• Blago is absolutely right, and great explanation. I did TCC mode with a Titan X, no increase in performance. But because you cannot use monitoring software and fan control software with it I ended up burning out the card. I think there are less advantages than negatives.

Comment

• good to know.

I've never used it before. but i was thinking it may have improved it.

should i plug a 2nd monitor into the other card to get it to run faster?

Comment

• Originally posted by chriserskine View Post
                good to know.

I've never used it before. but i was thinking it may have improved it.

should i plug a 2nd monitor into the other card to get it to run faster?
                Something doesn't sound right, you don't need to plug anything into the other card it should be running 100% also. What does the monitoring say on each card for usage?

Are both cards the exact same, I mean same model of the 1080s?
                Last edited by Donfarese; 27-07-2016, 04:47 PM.

Comment

• yeah same card. its just when both running compute. in gpu z says one card runs at around 1700mhz, the other 1500mhz.

Comment

• Sounds like the card isn't boosting. Do you have the latest drivers? I remember something about a driver issue not making the 1080 boost. But the other card is so very confusing.

Comment

• I haven't updated drivers on it yet. though they are only a month old.

yeah it looks like only the card with the monitor is boosting.

ok I'm looking inside pc, i think it might have the sli cable plugged in. could be the issue.

running win10

Comment

• Yeah remove the SLI bridge. And update the drivers, those drivers with the boost bug was not even a month ago. Latest ones fix it.

Comment

• Can i leave the bridge but just disable it in the driver?

or I guess its best just to remove it. still it hasn't done too badly considering that was on.

Comment

• Well unless you need it for games, but one 1080 should be able to handle any on max except for 4k. But for test vray RT, remove it for now.

Comment

• yeah there's no games going on it.

just compute.

Comment

• Then there is no point to sli, except for it messing up compute. Someone in the redshift forum had an issue with SLI, Maya, and GPU rendering.

Comment

Working...
                                X