Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ajroane View Post
    Amazing modeling/materials!
    From a potential clients perspective, I don't like buying items on Turbosquid that don't have the poly count listed. Not a huge deal though, people will see that you have good stuff either way, so why not list it? I just noticed that your ceiling/coving pack says, "Polygon count is shown for the rendered scene.", but it's listed as zero polys, so maybe it's a website glitch. Anyway, good work.
    Thats my fault really...being lazy and not finding out the poly count. For me personally it doesn't worry me what the polycount is as long as its not ridiculous, I can see how this would be important for other people though. I should probably optimise the model.
    Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

Out of interest would you find the model to heavy in polys after seeing the wires ?
      Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

No, but I really like it when the smoothing modifier is still in the stack for Max models. Even if I have to tweak the smoothing level for a dozen separate pieces of the model, that doesn't bother me. If I know the lamp will be secondary in the scene, and 30 feet away from the camera then I may take the smoothing off all together.

I don't have an ultra-high end computer, and I do run in to poly-count issues when projects start getting finalized. I'm a rendering guy at an architectural firm, and my projects get really unproductive if I let them get above 2 million polys. The issues are mostly related to slow viewport performance; rendering high-poly stuff is not usually an issue. With an object like your new lamp I would make it in to a VrayProxy object for sure.

I'm also a bit hypocritical. I have to admit that I went over my own Turbosquid models last night, and I found one of my own models that had no poly-count listed, and I only have 8 models for sell. So I apologize for my hypocrisy. BBB3 is a good example, it seems like all of his stuff has the count listed.

Comment

Thats fine. Good to get an honest answer. I applied the turbosmooth modifer to pretty much all the items in the scene so for a far off version if would be ok as you could just get rid of the smooth mod.
          Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

You know, if your lamp is 30 feet away in ou scene, you can get away with 3 boxes and a cone.

Anyway, I agree, having the smoothing still in a modifier so you can switch it off is a plus in a 3D model.
            Philippe Steels
            Pixelab - Blog - Flickr

Comment

Nice model & lovely presentation!
              MDI Digital
              moonjam

Comment

If this was in a 'fake or photo,' I would have gone with photo

Got any 'Edison' style bulbs lying around?
                Ben Steinert
                pb2ae.com

Comment

Thanks for the kind comments.
                  Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

Nice one Steve ! I'm curious... how long did it take you to model it ?
                    Last edited by lukx; 22-05-2011, 07:20 AM.
                    Luke Szeflinski
                    :: www.lukx.com cgi

Comment

Working...
                    X