• Show
Clear All

• some tests made during the development

some of the materials are included in the free library
    Attached Files

... and more
    Attached Files

Comment

the height map and the brdf of the cylinder are from two different materials, beside the fun, it can be useful in some cases
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Ivaylo Katev; 25-02-2016, 03:06 AM.

Comment

forget the materials scanner.. i want that van

p.s. these materials are amazing. im still skeptical about their usefulness for large surfaces ( architectural etc) do you have any examples of say 2m x 2m or bigger?

Comment

do you have any examples of say 2m x 2m or bigger?
          the currently operating devices can't handle such a size, but if there is significant interest toward large scale materials, we will construct corresponding devices

Comment

i actually meant one of your existing materials tiled over a larger surface to see how it looks... Lele suggested they actually tile much better than expected.

Comment

ah yes, really the main part of the efforts were spent to the tilling, you know the annoying problem when you try to use simple texture over a large surface, the tilling is visible even the material is "uniform", there are actually always differences that make the borders visible. we spent significant efforts to equalize the borders, in the most cases the tilling is invisible

Comment

Looking very nice !
                Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

So do you have some images where we can see a larger surface being covered? I think it's all black magic what you guys have done there, and I don't believe it until I see it :P
                  Software:
                  Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
                  3ds Max 2016 SP4
                  V-Ray Adv 3.60.04

Hardware:
                  Intel Core i7-4930K @ 3.40 GHz
                  NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 (4096MB RAM)
                  64GB RAM

DxDiag

Comment

You can play around with the scenes we have here:
                    http://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/V...VRayScannedMtl
                    All the materials in them a VRscans. I believe the chair model will answer your questions.
                    Dinko Dimitrov
                    VP VRscans
                    Chaos Software

Comment

Originally posted by Art48 View Post
                      So do you have some images where we can see a larger surface being covered? I think it's all black magic what you guys have done there, and I don't believe it until I see it :P
                      no problem, we have some test renders with big objects, the sizes are in mm
                      you can see the borders of some materials, there is place for improvements, but for now we are happy with the results
                      Attached Files

Comment

interesting.. i think for almost any architectural scale scene you are going to need much larger scans.. is it practical to scale up the scanner to massive sizes? do you just need an x/y motorized platform to move the scan head?

id imagine that if it takes 4 hours to scan a 200x200 sample, then 5mx5m panels are going to be quite painful.

another alternative would be to do multiple 200x200 scans and develop a method to randomly tile them so repetition is practically eliminated.
                        this would be a good solution for "noisy" textures, but im not sure how that would work for materials like wood.

anyway, its probably a more practical solution than a room sized scanner that may only be needed once in a while.

Comment

Awesome, looks very convincing.

Comment

well, currently we have no device for large materials, but if we have one, of course the pixel size will grow, to keep the same material size.

Comment

Working...
                            X