Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RTX 40xx supers

Hi,

Seeing as the latest RTX supers have been announced I was curious to know what would be an advised purchase for vantage / gpu rendering. As far as I can tell the super's are essentially the same chips but maximised to use 100% of the chip/die. With the RTX 4070TI being the outlier with the extra 4GB, when comparing them to the non supers.

We were planning on upgrading our gpu's to RTX4080's as it has the 16GB and the RTX4090 is just so much more expensive. We mostly render on cpu, so it's more to try stuff out in vantage and render in-house animations of more simple scenes, research work and AI stuff. The speed difference between the RTX4070TI super, RTX4080 & RTX4080 super seems reasonably small, all of them have 16GB. Budget wise it will be a couple of hundred € per card difference so that isn't a reason to go cheaper tbh. However I was thinking that because the supers maximise the onboard chips that maybe heat would be a more defining issue and that the RTX4080 might be a better option. Or is that nonsense and essentially just get the most RAM/cuda's your budget will allow?

Thanks!

Last edited by dean_dmoo; 09-01-2024, 01:56 AM.

How much GPU ram does your average scene need?
    If we would jump on GPU we would have to go with 24gb cards cause of the ram need.
    Thats my take on that.
    https://linktr.ee/cg_oglu
    Ryzen 5950, Geforce 3060, 128GB ram

Comment

Originally posted by oglu View Post
      How much GPU ram does your average scene need?
      If we would jump on GPU we would have to go with 24gb cards cause of the ram need.
      Thats my take on that.
      To be honest at the moment we aren't looking to seriously use gpu rendering, its just some playing about for now. If it does become worthwhile we'll step up but going from the 4080 to the 4090 is almost twice as much (€1100,- to €2200,-). Our production scenes are far too big (sometimes maxing out 128GB), so the 24GB on the 4090 seems pretty pointless in that regard for us. Or the amount of time optimising would be so long we could have already rendered in on the cpu in the background and moved on to other work. We have enough CPU render nodes anyway so it's purely just to play about for now.

Comment

Working...
      X