How not to sound like a jerk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How not to sound like a jerk?

I really try to be professional and I also try to put my client's best interest ahead of my own. I try not to reply to an email out of frustration and I end up deleting a few emails until I am sure I am not sounding like a jerk, but how far do you go? I mean, I appreciate the work; it feeds my family after all, but at what point do you put your foot down?

I have this project that I worked through the real estate agent with. She called all the shots. I gave my opinion and did what she asked. The house isn't anything I am going to show as my own because well, it isn't that good. The project was two eye-level exterior renderings and a couple interior renderings. She is allowed two sets of revisions for each view and she is on 4-5 revisions. Again, I try to put my clients needs ahead of my own (sleep), so I gently remind that there are a limited number of revisions and I make the change anyway. The exteriors were approved, but guess what, she showed it to her client and they had another vision for the exteriors. My clients said, "I showed the renderings to my client and we missed the mark!". First, I didn't miss the mark, you did. Of course, I thought this but didn't say it. Her client wants aerial, which to me, are more difficult and had I known, the quote would have been different. What now? She maxed out her revisions and my kindness to make changes for free and her client isn't happy. In my eyes, it will cost more and I am not the one who has to pay for it with my time. However, I do several projects a year with the company and I don't want to jeopardize that. She knows this, too. When she knows she is asking for more than she paid for she says, "I have several other projects I am planning on sending to you". I do work for this company, but it is always a different person. Each project has very little information, so it's usually trial and error at every step of the process. This same job I built the interior kitchen per the plans, however, apparently, that's not going to sell the house, so everything was changed. Same for the living room. I placed furniture where the plan showed and I built a fireplace per the plan, but again, that's not what she wanted.

My theory is this, and I might be way off. I had someone inquire about a project that I wasn't interested in, so I pointed this person to a freelance site. I warned him about low skilled people and he might be working with people overseas, so communication may be an issue. He said, and it is burnt into my mind, "oh, not a problem, I can work them day and night and they won't say a word". I thought, really? They are people, working to feed their families too and you are going to take advantage of it? Is this how Americans think? This company has used a service overseas, however, they said that the images were not of high enough quality, so they sought out someone like me, who might be able to do better. I think they are used to the unlimited revisions for pennies on the dollar and people being yes men.

At what point do you make your clients abide by your agreement, without wavering? How passive should one be? I want to be a pleasure to work with, however, pleasing one person pisses another person off when their project is being delayed.
    Bobby Parker
    www.bobby-parker.com
    e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
    phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
    • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
    • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
    • ​Windows 11 Pro

Oh man, it always happens doesn't it. I would imagine this as what outweighs what. Does losing the client make you go poor and bankrupt in a long run? or does losing this client will actually improve your quality of life and allow you to work on other projects making better money etc? Some of them are not worth keeping, you have to pick your battles.
    I always stay professional with all of my clients to the end. Professional does not equal friendly or to be taken advantage of though. Another thing is that talking over email is basically a legal proof in case things go bad. So, if you act like a jerk it can backfire later. To you, you can swear at them in hear head all day long, but on paper be professional but also say what really you think is best for you. I sometimes tell my clients that I have to put my self ahead of them and their projects and they get upset but its the reality. Work is work, it comes and goes, but you and your life / relationship with family is much more important then slaving away weekend after weekend for some project that is quickly forgotten and money it earned is quickly spent.
    The other thing is mean what you say. I find with clients its often like with kids. You tell them no, but they keep asking and asking. But if you are consistent they learn in time and stop asking
    Dmitry Vinnik
    Silhouette Images Inc.
    ShowReel:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

Also I forgot to mention that, I also do the same where I read the email then NEVER reply immediately. Replying right away puts you in a high emotional state, its 99.9% better to sit on it for some time, few hours, maybe sleep on it then come up with a good response.
      Dmitry Vinnik
      Silhouette Images Inc.
      ShowReel:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
      https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

I don't want to be a legalist and cut/paste contract lines, but somehow I have to make things very clear. I know that they don't read their contract, otherwise, these things wouldn't be a surprise to them. I respect their time and money and they need to give me the same respect. I quickly made this up, which I'll somehow include in the initial conversations. It's in my contract, and on my website; here I just highlighted the process in 10 easy steps. On my contract, there is one place to sign, which is at the bottom. I think I am going to change it where they have to initial each line, too.

Bobby Parker
        www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
        • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

If you have a contract and don't enforce it, then there doesn't seem much point in having one.

I doubt very much that this client cares about your needs so why reciprocate? If you have a client that you enjoy working with and have a good relationship with then its worth having flexibility, but by the sounds of this company, they arent that. Be professional but not emotional when dealing with them, don't let them break the contract and if they start 'threatening' to use cheaper people, let them and walk away knowing you aren't being taken advantage of.
          e: info@adriandenne.com
          w: www.adriandenne.com

Comment

It’s like hiring a photographer, picking his lens, choosing the lighting and composition and then complain when the photos suck. Do you still need to pay the photographer? Or, maybe you sent the photographer to the wrong address and he takes photos of the wrong house. You still need to pay, even if you can’t use the photos. Yes, I would win in court, but at what cost.

I had a guy call last month. This guy makes a living creating 3D floor plans. We was looking for a resource to do exterior renderings, which brought him to me. I explained my process and he questioned the deposit I require. He said that he doesn’t ask for a deposit, which gets him a lot of work. He said that often people don’t pay, they count it as a loss and move on. He sees it at the cost of doing business. He thinks he gets a lot of work by not asking for a deposit, so it is worth it. Is it worth it for me to do more work than I’m being paid for? I guess that’s the question.

I want people leaving me thinking I’m really easy to work with and not the opposite.
            Bobby Parker
            www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
            • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Your analogy of the photographer implies confusion about whats being communicated to the client about services/ process etc before starting the job. Are they hiring a photographer for their ability in taking photographs, or just because they own a camera...the potential outcomes are quite different and need to be communicated at the beginning.

When a client goes over the revision amount in the contract, are you telling them, before moving on, that you will be invoicing them the additional time?
              Last edited by francomanko; 07-11-2018, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Yes, the contract talks of a per hour fee above and beyond the two allowed revisions. 1/2 my clients hire me because I own a computer and the other half hire me because of what I can do with that computer. The second half, I believe, always comes out much better.
                Bobby Parker
                www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

sorry i meant, when the client has used the 2 revisions, do you then tell them that they are being charged after that, before doing the revision?

Comment

Originally posted by francomanko View Post
                    sorry i meant, when the client has used the 2 revisions, do you then tell them that they are being charged after that, before doing the revision?
                    Yes, but I don't follow through and it is usually after 3-4 revisions. I'll say something like, "you have used more than your two revisions and I normally quote per hour, per the contract for changes after the two revisions, However, I'll wave those fees to get you your updates". They usually have a comment, "well, my client won't pay until it is correct", or "I just noticed it now". I literally had someone comment that "the grill under the refrigerator is showing three vents when ours has four".
                    Bobby Parker
                    www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                    • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

I just got a nice reply from client in question.

"Understood, and this is definitely a new process for our team on this end, so we're lucky to be working with you on this, I appreciate it."

Thanks for listening to my rant. You guys are cheaper than a physiologist.
                      Bobby Parker
                      www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                      • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Thats good to hear. The "well, my client won't pay until it is correct" is down to them not you, the home buyer is the estate agents client, the estate agent is your client. If the estate agent screws up...they should pay or at least they need to understand its their responsibility to avoid situations like "I just noticed it now"

Comment

It falls in the category of ”you'll get paid when I get paid”. I'm very clear that that's not how I work.
                          Bobby Parker
                          www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                          • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

having it in the contract but not enforcing it is just like a parent threatening a naughty child with a punishment over and over but never actually punishing the bad behavior, soon enough the child stops even hearing the threat and carries on regardless whilst the parent becomes more and more upset.

Comment

"oh, not a problem, I can work them day and night and they won't say a word"

Probably exactly what your client says to their client...
                              James Burrell www.objektiv-j.com
                              Visit my Patreon patreon.com/JamesBurrell

Comment

Working...
                              X