No announcement yet.

MAX Renewal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just upgraded to MAX 2020 and I am stumped on what I got for my money? It looks, acts, and feels just like MAX 2019, which was almost identical to MAX 2018. I know there is some chamfer utility, but $1600? Renting software is a dream come true for software developers. Something has to change because I don't think it is sustainable. Buy and pay to upgrade if you want too... seems like the right model for everyone.
    Bobby Parker
    www.bobby-parker.com
    e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
    phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
    • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
    • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
    • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

That chamfer utility was already there it just got a little upgrade. I don't know guys, I feel like we have to do something to boycott these practices. In comparison to the Adobe CC suite (all apps for 70€ /month) vs 1 application that can't even do half of the stuff all those other apps can do together for more than double the price, and for no bug fixes whatsoever, only creating more. I'm angry, someone should go over there and punch a few people some f*cking sense. I've been comparing all the prices for the AEC bundle and Japan takes the cake (4000€), Belgium/Europe comes in second with (3700€), with USA at 2560€. And China is cheapest at 1370€. That's more than a 290% price difference. Between cheapest and most expensive. Guess I'm a new resident of China then.
      A.

---------------------
      www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Yeah, I don't get it. I can see buying it for $1600, which still seems high, but having to buy it every year for $1600 makes no sense. I don't know of anything that I can relate to it that makes sense. Maybe leasing a car, but you get a new car of your choice when your lease is up if you decided to lease again. I don't even blink at the Photoshop $19 a month, or the $10 for Microsoft Office that I don't even use (I need to cancel that). Software as a service makes no sense for anyone but the seller. Someone needs to come along to do it better for less, that's what needs to happen.
        Bobby Parker
        www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
        • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by glorybound View Post
          I just upgraded to MAX 2020 and I am stumped on what I got for my money? It looks, acts, and feels just like MAX 2019, which was almost identical to MAX 2018
          check here :
          https://area.autodesk.com/3dsmax-timeline/
          Renting software is a dream come true for software developers.
          And our nightmare when it is on the wrong hands !
          -------------------------------------------------------------
          Simply, I love to put pixels together! Sounds easy right : ))
          Sketchbook-1 /Sketchbook-2 / Behance / Facebook

Comment

Yeah, I don't get it. I can see buying it for $1600, which still seems high, but having to buy it every year for $1600 makes no sense. I don't know of anything that I can relate to it that makes sense.
            It's called extortion. Something most people don't do and find reprehensible.

I actually like Microsoft's business example - they remind me of the Henry Ford way of doing business, stacking things as high and cheap as possible to capture the biggest audience (eg Office for £5.99 a month on all my devices AND 1TB on OneDrive).

Autodesk's approach is the complete opposite - pricing their products as high as they can get away with (while offering the smallest amount of value for that price).

It's early days for me, but I stopped paying my maintenance renewals August this year, and boy does it feel nice no longer feeling cheated. Feels like the madness has stopped (my renewal for 3DS Max perpetual was going to be £1100, around what, $1400....).
            Jez

------------------------------------
            3DS Max 2023.3.4 | V-Ray 6.10.08 | Phoenix FD 4.40.00 | PD Player 64 1.0.7.32 | Forest Pack Pro 8.2.2 | RailClone 6.1.3
            Windows 11 Pro 22H2 | NVidia Drivers 535.98 (Game Drivers)

Asus X299 Sage (Bios 4001), i9-7980xe, 128Gb, 1TB m.2 OS, 2 x NVidia RTX 3090 FE
            ---- Updated 06/09/23 -------

Comment

Originally posted by JezUK View Post

It's called extortion. Something most people don't do and find reprehensible.

I actually like Microsoft's business example - they remind me of the Henry Ford way of doing business, stacking things as high and cheap as possible to capture the biggest audience (eg Office for £5.99 a month on all my devices AND 1TB on OneDrive).

Autodesk's approach is the complete opposite - pricing their products as high as they can get away with (while offering the smallest amount of value for that price).

It's early days for me, but I stopped paying my maintenance renewals August this year, and boy does it feel nice no longer feeling cheated. Feels like the madness has stopped (my renewal for 3DS Max perpetual was going to be £1100, around what, $1400....).
              If you stop paying do you still have access to max then?
              A.

---------------------
              www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Originally posted by Vizioen View Post

If you stop paying do you still have access to max then?
                I have the perpetual version (not the subscription version), so, yes.

I am on 3DS Max 2020.1 and ought to have that for perpetuity, i.e. 'forever' - though Autodesk have recently moved even those goal posts as well.... but I should be okay for the next 4-5 years (by which time I'll have an Indie version or gone Blender....).
                Jez

------------------------------------
                3DS Max 2023.3.4 | V-Ray 6.10.08 | Phoenix FD 4.40.00 | PD Player 64 1.0.7.32 | Forest Pack Pro 8.2.2 | RailClone 6.1.3
                Windows 11 Pro 22H2 | NVidia Drivers 535.98 (Game Drivers)

Asus X299 Sage (Bios 4001), i9-7980xe, 128Gb, 1TB m.2 OS, 2 x NVidia RTX 3090 FE
                ---- Updated 06/09/23 -------

Comment

I remember the lawsuit that set all this in motion. Someone tried to sell their copy of AutoCAD, I think it was and now they have a license to steal.
                  Bobby Parker
                  www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                  • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

So we should all blame that person.
                    A.

---------------------
                    www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Originally posted by Vizioen View Post
                      So we should all blame that person.
                      No, we should blame the judge who made the decision in AD's favor.
                      Bobby Parker
                      www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                      • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

No, we should blame the judge who made the decision in AD's favor.
                        Haha ofcourse, irony is easily lost in plain text
                        A.

---------------------
                        www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Working...
                        X