Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nuke comes to mind.
    I copy my .nuke folder, and i am set.
    It also checkpoints the file one's working on automatically and very often.
    Truth be told, filesizes tend to differ quite a bit (a few Kb to a few Mb in Nuke, even for big comps).
    I may have been lucky, or too light on the loading of it, but i cannot recall a single instance of comprehensive mess-up with Nuke, ever.
    Lele
    Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
    ----------------------
    emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
    The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

I am stuck with 2015...so there is no rescue for me :P
      Add Your Light LogoCheck out my tutorials, assets, free samples and weekly newsletter:
      www.AddYourLight.com
      Always looking to learn, become better and serve better.

Comment

Yeah that damn ENU folder, even when everything is setup and you back it up there's still some things that get broken when you restore that version after a max meltdown. I've tried but there's always things that are broken afterwards. I set up custom workspaces with templates, toolbars, shortcuts, modifiers, etc then I disable save UI configuration on Exit and I've noticed I have less problems with things going to the shitter when all hell breaks loose and Max decides it's time to waste my time again.
        A.

---------------------
        www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Hey, never knew there was an option for that! I'll have to find it and disable it. Don't even know why it's there if there is so much trouble coming from it and I have to backup everything by hand anyway
          Add Your Light LogoCheck out my tutorials, assets, free samples and weekly newsletter:
          www.AddYourLight.com

Comment

I was under the impression they fixed like this in 2018. Maybe a big fix somehow brought it back. I can confidently say that the best way to avoid this problem is simple, just don't open or close a Max instance within 5 or so seconds of each other. The ENU folder gets written to when you open and when you close max, so the most common way for this folder to get corrupted is because someone tried to open 2 copies of max one right after another, or they closed and opened a copy at roughly the same time. Since i stopped doing that I haven't had a problem in a good 5-6 years. (Also, wait 5 seconds of Max crashes before starting a new max instance.) It takes a bit of training to break the habit, but it works. It really does.

Also keep in mind you can backup your toolbars from the Customize User Interface menu and your hotkeys. You can also try Save Custom UI Scheme.

I did have a problem where I couldn't open Max a while back which was a result of my A/V software (Avast). It was waiting for a reboot that didn't come fast enough and windows updated while Avast was waiting on the reboot. For some reason when that happened when I started max it created a file in my usermacros (C:\Users\(username)\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsMax \2016 - 64bit\ENU\usermacros) folder that read like 4588382_temp.mcr. If I disabled A/V and deleted that file, then Max would start but the next time I tried max it would be back. The ONLY permanent fix after 2 days of messing with it I could find was to uninstall Avast, reboot, and re-install Avast. This has happened to me 2x now, and both times it was because windows updated after Avast did and I didn't reboot in time. (I freakin' hate rebooting, my machine is technically a server and it takes a while to start up so I avoid it.) Anyways, hopefully that helps someone...

Best Regards,
            AJ
            Last edited by Deflaminis; 20-08-2019, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Good info. Thanks. What about those modifier buttons? They are always gone when stuff goes downhill and I always have to reconfigure them as there doesn't seem to be a way to back those up.
              www.AddYourLight.com

Comment

Originally posted by Deflaminis View Post
                I was under the impression they fixed like this in 2018. Maybe a big fix somehow brought it back. I can confidently say that the best way to avoid this problem is simple, just don't open or close a Max instance within 5 or so seconds of each other. The ENU folder gets written to when you open and when you close max, so the most common way for this folder to get corrupted is because someone tried to open 2 copies of max one right after another, or they closed and opened a copy at roughly the same time. Since i stopped doing that I haven't had a problem in a good 5-6 years. (Also, wait 5 seconds of Max crashes before starting a new max instance.) It takes a bit of training to break the habit, but it works. It really does.

Also keep in mind you can backup your toolbars from the Customize User Interface menu and your hotkeys. You can also try Save Custom UI Scheme.

I did have a problem where I couldn't open Max a while back which was a result of my A/V software (Avast). It was waiting for a reboot that didn't come fast enough and windows updated while Avast was waiting on the reboot. For some reason when that happened when I started max it created a file in my usermacros (C:\Users\(username)\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsMax \2016 - 64bit\ENU\usermacros) folder that read like 4588382_temp.mcr. If I disabled A/V and deleted that file, then Max would start but the next time I tried max it would be back. The ONLY permanent fix after 2 days of messing with it I could find was to uninstall Avast, reboot, and re-install Avast. This has happened to me 2x now, and both times it was because windows updated after Avast did and I didn't reboot in time. (I freakin' hate rebooting, my machine is technically a server and it takes a while to start up so I avoid it.) Anyways, hopefully that helps someone...

Best Regards,
                AJ
                Well that would explain why I have more problems than anybody else in the office, I run 2-3max instances at the same time on average. It's just retarded that I can't run more than 1 at the same time. This is 2019 for fuck sake.
                A.

---------------------
                www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Originally posted by Vizioen View Post

Well that would explain why I have more problems than anybody else in the office, I run 2-3max instances at the same time on average. It's just retarded that I can't run more than 1 at the same time. This is 2019 for fuck sake.
                  He didn't say you shouldn't run multiple instances at the same time. Just that you shouldn't open/close multiple at the same time.
                  German guy, sorry for my English.

Comment

Originally posted by Ihno View Post

He didn't say you shouldn't run multiple instances at the same time. Just that you shouldn't open/close multiple at the same time.
                    Well I rarely do that, most of the time Max decides he just had enough I'll try what Deflaminis says and be more 'careful' when it comes to opening/closing/crashing Max at the same time. Hopefully that solves my everlasting problem of having to reconfigure every 1-2 weeks.
                    A.

---------------------
                    www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Given Max's loading hasn't historically been too gracious with the system in general (the late focus stealing was but one of the last examples of aggressive system consumption. 2019-2020 have admittedly been much better, but then 2020 it's a wee bit longer for it to get to actual usability.), i always refrained from multiplying the stresses, and duly queued my new max instances after the previous one had me in complete UI control. And then a bit. ^^
                      I must have had the odd clash of instances now and then, but i can't recall but one ENU folder messup in years.
                      So perhaps there is some truth in the crowding of startups being unhealthy?
                      Last edited by ^Lele^; 22-08-2019, 10:01 AM.
                      Lele
                      Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
                      ----------------------
                      emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
                      The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Working...
                      X