No announcement yet.

Max 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We recently updated to 21.3 from 18 and mostly it's been fine. However the last couple of projects we've noticed that when using xref scene and loading a file over 1GB (seems to be the size from a couple of tests) that max will crash when it's done loading. You get the save backup message and if saved and restarted the xref is present.

Did a test yesterday within the same project, both landscape files with the same forestpacks but one just lighter with a couple of objects less. The >1GB files crashed, the <1GB files worked fine.

I've searched the autodesk forum but there wasn't much there to help, only the suggestion to use xref objects instead. That worked, fortunately, to a certain extent.*

Anyone else run into this?

*When removing the xref record for some reason it will not delete files from the xref that are linked to a dwg (as in a reference link in the xref file).

So it's just a quick workaround at the moment but not really a solution as we can't save the masterfiles unless accepting that the xref object is always present. Normally we remove the heavy files just to open it quicker and only load what is needed per render(view).

Comment

Did you try saving the master scene and the xref with "Compress on save" turned off in the 3ds Max preferences? Weird things happen when saving large files with the "Compress on save" setting is turned on. This has been a long standing issue with Max.
      Aleksandar Mitov
      www.renarvisuals.com
      office@renarvisuals.com

3ds Max 2023.2.2 + Vray 6 Update 2.1
      AMD Ryzen 9 9950X 16-core
      64GB DDR5
      GeForce RTX 3090 24GB + GPU Driver 551.86

Comment

Hi Alex,

Thanks, I'll check but we've had that setting turned off for years. But maybe not in the masterfile...

Update:

No, the masterfile doesn't have "compress on save" on either. I'm gonna make a new masterfile in 2021 and see if that helps. The current one is just a resave of the 2018 version, maybe that's the reason.
        Last edited by dean_dmoo; 26-06-2021, 07:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X