Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	9A846E8A-7E04-4B9F-88EF-49AFC2E12244.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	169.4 KB
ID:	1199004 And another one

Comment

Originally posted by glorybound View Post
        2024, can I export a house built in 3DS MAX, import it into something else, paint detail onto it, and merge it back into MAX? UVW mapping hasn't changed in 20 years, so there has to be a better way. I know Adobe has Substance Painter, but I am unsure if that is a good fit. It seems like it is something we can do in 2024.
        Substance painter is incredible. You can automatically unwrap inside there, and it'll be fine for most objects.

However the workflow in principle is still the same from decades past. The software still needs to generate a texture map, and to do this it needs UV mapping. Without unwrapping, the texture will be incorrect, and won't work, just like trying to lightbake a model without unrwapping.

I've used Unwrella in the past to automatically unwrap objects in Max, and it's very capable.

The only thing you need to really think about is texture map size, and the areas of the model you're unrwapping. If you have a building for an exterior CGI, you'll want your unrwapping to focus on the exterior walls, main facades, etc. There's no point in using texture space for the interior or underside of objects, as these won't be seen.

Unwapping isn't hard, once you get fast with the tools.
        Dean Punchard > Head of CGI at HUB

Comment

Very well said, suzanne

Comment

Sorry me for actually not being the good guy would you?
            this mess of what Chaos has now become will impact us all, even smaller guys like the one who blocked me years ago and still bribed today about it.
            this is basic knowledge he should have done research elsewhere...
            please keep the forum clean don't feed it too much for no reason, keep focus and long life to the dev's!

Comment

Working...
            X