Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

advice on junior visualizer qualifications...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• advice on junior visualizer qualifications...

I was hoping to get your advice on something.

We have a vacancy for a junior architectural visualizer in my office (a large architectural firm in London). I've written the advertisment but I'm wondering if I'm being too hardcore, or not enough.

Among other things, I am requiring that all applicants have a degree level qualification in architecture (equiv. to B.Arch in U.S.). Is this too restrictive? I want to ensure that the applicants can understand architectural CAD drawings well enough to model from them.

And because I do 3d exclusively in Max/Vray, I am requring high proficiency in modeling in Max, and rendering in Vray. Can I expect someone with 1-3 years experience in 3d and architecture to do this? Or should I require that they just know "advanced lighting" or a GI plugin, and train them on Vray later. I don't want to exclude possible applicants that, say, are good at Brazil.

Unfortunately I don't know any visualizers in this country to ask about what I can expect from the local 3d visualizer talent.

Thanks.
    "Why can't I build a dirigible with my mind?"

Hi Clifton,
    I'd say the importance of stipulating that applicants have an architectural qualification will depend on where you're advertising, ie. AJ, 3D World , or with a recruitment agency on the web. I'm a freelance architectural visualiser, with RIBA Pts I + II, and in the past have always preferred to work with people who at least have an arch. degree like you suggest. However, I've worked with some very talented guys (who put me to shame!), who have no formal qualifications, but can read drawings perfectly well and are amazing artists. So you may well limit yourself on that one.

As for VRay experience, it seems to be the renderer of choice nowadays for arch vis work, and I see one of it's main benefits as it's ease of use. Having said that, I was lucky enough to have learnt on 1.09, and found that when I upgraded to 1.47.03 a few months back, all the new features were somewhat overwhelming. I've also found that people who have experience of another 3rd party renderer - such as Brazil - tend to be very sceptical of learning a new one, and can be very critical of its abilities. As we all know, there's a lot of snobbery between the various renderers, and it can make life quite difficult when you're trying to teach someone.

Finally, I guess it's down to how much you want to pay and whether you want the successful applicant to hit the ground running.

Hope this helps, sorry for rambling!

Best of luck.

Andrew.
    -Andrew

Andrew Martin Visualisation

Comment

Armilla,

Good points. I agree that sometimes the non-architectural background visualizers can produce some amazing stuff, probably because they are not restricted by thinking within certain architectural paradigms, unlike myself.

Cheers,

Aaron

Comment

I agree architectural experience and understanding is far more important when hiring than 3D app skills. It's much easier to learn new software than it is reading elevations or a roof plans. However requiring a junior visualizer to have an architectural degree is madness to me. I don't know how the job market is in the UK, but here on the east coast of the US we search the entire country and abroad for qualified visualizers. They're fairly uncommon in the greater 3D community.

Narrow yourself further to the ones with degrees and you're really talking about a needle in a haystack. And a req'd degree also means you will pay more to fill that position. I don't think it's necessary at all -- hell, I'd rather take an applicant with a bachelors in fine arts for a visualizer's position. Someone trained in how to compose an artisticly dynamic image is far more valuable.

No one in my company has a BA in architecture, and we seem to have no problem communicating our clients' designs.

Shaun
        ShaunDon

Comment

I've posted an ad looking for people to have on file and have been hammered with applications. No matter what requirements you post, you are going to get people from all sorts of backgrounds - some with less and some with more experience - it seems that very few are going to have the exact qualifications you seek.
          LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
          HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
          Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

Comment

Hi Clifton,
            I can surely see, why you would rather want somebody with an architectural degree and some experience in Vray, but in my opinion, I'd rather go by the quality of the applicants' images. If the person has an architectural degree and knows Vray, the better, but that sort of stuff can be taught easily whereas an eye for good lighting and composition is something you have or you don't...

Good luck!
            Stefanie

https://renderkitchen.com/

Comment

ive never studies architecture in my life. i have a community college degree in mechanical and electrical engineering and a BFA in film animation. yet somehow i find myself in this possition hehe. ah well. atleast i know how to read cad files etc and my mechanical engineering background helps too

---------------------------------------------------
              MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
              stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

Well in the US people always tend to apply for jobs that they are underqualified for, which is why people post huge requirements hoping that they get at least part of it. (IE, requires 3 years experience in feature films VFX, may get someone with 6 months in commercials).

I know someone that is very shy, always applies to jobs where he is well qualified according to the ad, then when he interviews quickly figures out that he is WAY overqualified... and while his rate may be $50/hour, the job only pays $20/hour.

But you could say something like...

Must have 2+ years in 3d studio and a clear understanding of architectural materials and plans, and global illumination rendering.
                Prefered degree in architecture, experience in Vray.

Then you can probe them during the interview to see how you feel about them.

The other thing to do is to go to soical events, school functions, get in touch with school admins (they love to give their students job referral).

Comment

yes i agree, dont limit yourself with the add too much as it may be better to start with a lot more applicants to choose from and work your way through their resume's to decide who is qualified enough for an interview. This would be one of the only jobs i'd suggest this for because of how hard it can be to find new people with the specific skills you require.

We have architecture degree's here and it is preferred. Otherwise I think you may end up with people with more of a general 3D knowledge who have experience in rendering teapots but no idea about how to fully detail a building outside and in in 3D from fairly basic architectural drawings. Dealing with clients (especially architects!!!) can be bad if the person doing the 3D refuses to focus on the architecture we have found and gets absorbed by details such as animating people.

we advertised last year with a specific add and didnt get one applicant :P, but thats Perth Australia for you.

Alternatively just got for an archicture graduate who used max at uni. Usually theres at least a few people who get pretty hardcore into the 3D side of things as they may have had less interest in the design aspects of the course. I think Vray can be picked up easily if the person has the basics. They can start by referencing all lighting, settings and materials from other projects you have worked on.

The snobbery thing is huge though. We had a guy who was great at MAYA so we got him maya, and he constantly told us how much better this was. having two different platforms in the office is a terrible mistake (we ended up in arguements competing on who would take the project on) so laying down the law in the interview about what they would be using and judging their reaction is worth noting in my opinion.

Comment

Thanks for all your input. Based on your feedback I've decided to ease up on the architectural degree requirement but stay specific on the software requirements:

"Candidates must have 1 to 3 years post-graduate experience in architectural practice and 3d visualization. Must be proficient at modeling architectural scenes in 3dStudio MAX, rendering in V-Ray, and editing/compositing in Photoshop..."

and:

"Must have experience in creating both photo-realistic and stylized architectural imagery and animations for design studies, client presentations, and marketing purposes."

I worded it to emphasize that I don't want anyone to come in here trying to model in cad (Microstation - yuck) and import into Max. I won't tolerate that.

I'll let you know how it goes. We'll probably run it in AJ, BD, and maybe CGarchitect.

Chris: Yeah, I already asked 2 of my best 3d students from the last couple years if they wanted to interview, and they turned me down. One is now at Smoothe and the other at Fosters. Social events? I wish...

paulison: I think about 20% of my office is Australian, and I think they're mostly from Perth. Does everyone in Perth move to London?

Cheers,

Aaron

Comment

perth, weird place that

Comment

Originally posted by Clifton Santiago
                        I think about 20% of my office is Australian, and I think they're mostly from Perth. Does everyone in Perth move to London?
                        no mate....all aussies end up in London at some point

Why not call up the Bartlett or SouthBank or UNL for year out students?

Comment

siliconbauhaus: Yeah, 2 friends of mine teach at AA, Bartlett, UNL (london met), and Westminster. And I teach their students 3d. So I see some of the best and brightest. I asked 2 of the best diploma graduates if they wanted to interview for the vacancy. They both told me no. One is working at Smoothe, the other at Fosters.

Comment

That's a shame mate. Mind you when I was at UNL my tutor would freak if you used a computer.....silly bugger

Comment

Half of the people I studied Architecture with here moved to London. I dont understand why so many people want to leave the beach weather for rain? Purely financial I think as Perth is perceived by everyone as being a bit of a dead end if you want to further your career.

Older generations who have made there money seem to come here to live but everyone else wants to leave it seems

Generally over the last few years a lot of people here have gone over east to the big companies, or to the UK but finally I think thats starting to change a bit as development continues in perth at a rapid rate while other places are slowing down . Bit of pointless info for you!

nvanherpt I have my theories as to why Perth is a weird place, but why do you think it is?

Oh yeah, the reworded add looks great. Possibly will weed out the ones who went in a different direction with their 3D interest

PS: ive wanted to move to London for years

Comment

Working...
                              X