Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by trick
    Originally posted by timmatron
    Ok, the DivX works, so it must be something with wm9. Unfortunately, wm9 is the one I really need so because most people do not have divx.
    Keep in mind that the the DivX compression you do in Cleaner does NOT entitle you to distribute DivX endoded files commercially: you still need to buy a license for that use (NOT the DivX or DivX Pro encoder/program but a real commercial use license; just read the DivX EULA in one of your Cleaner folders or see the DivX website). So you better use WMV !!!
    Don't worry, I don't have Cleaner, nor can I get DivX to work in Combustion. But thanks for the heads up!
    Tim Nelson
    timnelson3d.com

Comment

Keep in mind that the the DivX compression you do in Cleaner does NOT entitle you to distribute DivX endoded files commercially: you still need to buy a license for that use (NOT the DivX or DivX Pro encoder/program but a real commercial use license; just read the DivX EULA in one of your Cleaner folders or see the DivX website). So you better use WMV !!!
      true, thats one thing most people tend to forget...
      i just use xvid which is an open source codec comparable to divx (i think they have the same origins and xvid just branched off when divx went commercial)

cu mike

btw: given enough time (and diskspace!) i'd always render to uncompressed/lossless formats and convert to the final format afterwards
      two-pass encoding tends to be much better than single pass, especially if you have a bandwidth limit

oh, you might want to try bink
      http://www.radgametools.com/bnkmain.htm
      allows you to encode the video and distribute it as an executable for pc - no codec installation needed
      http://www.radgametools.com/binkh2ex.htm
      they also have players for macOs and linux
      seems there is no cost involved:
      Your first distribution option is to accompany your Bink files with one of the players from the RAD Video Tools. These utilities all display a RAD Game Tools credit. You can distribute these utilities for no licensing fees as long as you do NOT circumvent this notice. Any attempt to hide the notice voids your right to distribute the files.

Comment

...Don't worry, I don't have Cleaner, nor can I get DivX to work in Combustion. But thanks for the heads up!
        Once you have contacted them about licensing costs you will understand why I'm so explicit

Comment

Something weird happened...The windows media 9 encoder stopped working, not only on my machine, but 2 others in the office as well. The encoder still shows up in Combustion, but when it exports the movie, the avi is way smaller than it should be....like less than a meg. Then when you open the movie, it doesn't play and is blank, although the duration is still showing the correct time.

And its not just me...somebody else in the office also had the same problem in Premiere using wm9 encoder. We can't figure out what the deal is...
          Tim Nelson
          timnelson3d.com

Comment

the standalone encoder is working for me - i always prefer it over the pure codec because of the better interface (one could argue over that though) and the better control over quality vs bitrate

maybe your source material has some weird format (codec) going on
            i crashed premiere several times using huffuvw encoded files

Comment

Originally posted by mike.edel
              maybe your source material has some weird format (codec) going on. i crashed premiere several times using huffuvw encoded files
              No, these are coming in as frame sequences so thats not it.

I'll have to give the standalone a shot. I did open it once, for some reason the only option I was seeing was the export to wmv. Again, I'm sure that was user error.
              Tim Nelson
              timnelson3d.com

Comment

I'll have to give the standalone a shot. I did open it once, for some reason the only option I was seeing was the export to wmv. Again, I'm sure that was user error.
                i'd be expecting the windows media encoder to output .Windows Media Video files
                i don't know what you intend to get, but wmv by now is the standard windows media format (asf is outdated)
                there are various sub-types though (targeting different distribution channels like web, dvd, cd, download, streaming)

if you want to output .avi there basicly is no difference (.avi is just a container file which can hold vastly different formats inside - windows media being one)
                microsoft just decided to introduce a new file extention and format for wmv
                most video player will simply play back .wmv files that have been renamed to avi (windows media player will warn you though)

Comment

Good point!
                  Tim Nelson
                  timnelson3d.com

Comment

Working...
                  X