Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• render slaves

Hi everyone,

I know this topic gets done every couple of weeks and I seem to have read every single one of them, but i have a choice to make and i cant decide.

Its dead simple really, i have the choice of 8 P4 3ghz + 1gig ram or
    4 X2 4.2Ghz + 2 gig ram.

The reason i'm asking is that i read somewhere on google that its the number of cpu's in a farm that count not the power of the cpu's, this has caused me a lot of head scratching and completely thrown me.

cheers for any advice you can offer
    steve

why not 2 x dual opteron dual core 265, 4 gig ram?
    Daniel Westlund

Comment

Life is very hard for you, to have this kind of choice.
      I dream to have the same.
      =:-/
      Laurent

Comment

Steve,
        Personally I'd go with the 4 X2 4200 + 2 gig ram. The render times of a x2 4200 should be half (or less) that of a P4 3Ghz, and the 2gig of RAM will allow you to render more complex scenes, whereas the P4s with 1 gig may well fall over. On top of that, it'll be less maintenance and less power consumption. Let us know how you get on.

Andrew.
        -Andrew

Andrew Martin Visualisation

Comment

cheers for the replies, the order is going in this afternoon, yippee.

roppin, i'd love em, but i doubt i can stretch the budget to fund those.

priad, its terrible i dont envy anyone who has to make these decisions.

I think the 4 X2's have got to be the way to go, the more i think about it the more sense it makes, with things going down the 64bit route now.

I've got a price of £550.00 per system, inc vat. thats for

X2 4200 cpu
          2 gig ram
          80 gig HD
          cd-rom
          floppy
          onboard graphics and sound
          gigabit network card

if anyone knows of anywhere that can do it any cheaper i'd love to know, there's a couple of pints in it for ya my order is going in at 3pm.

cheers chaps
          steve

Comment

Wow, that's a pretty good price, where's that from, if you don't mind me asking, and does it include build costs? What case and OS are you going with?
            -Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by armilla
              Wow, that's a pretty good price, where's that from, if you don't mind me asking, and does it include build costs? What case and OS are you going with?
              Hi,

thats with vantagecomputers.co.uk, yep it includes build costs, already got the network cards, they were £8 each or there abouts.

not sure on OS yet, I've got XP 64 bit on my main workstation, mainly due to 4gig of ram, and i cant say i'm too impressed with it. I'll probably go with XP pro, buy it from ebay, about £60 a licence. Not looked at linux, and i would'nt really know where to start with it to be honest.

steve

Comment

What sort of problems have you had withXP 64 bit - driver issues? I've specified it on my new workstation from Scan Computers, which I should be getting at the end of this week, so I'm hoping it's going to be reasonably problem free.
                -Andrew

Comment

Hi,

I've only had driver issues with my camera, its a sony cybershot F828, and the usb drivers wont install, as yet sony hav'nt got any updated drivers yet.

Other problems are,

1. blue screen of death for no apparant reason, this has happened about 4-5 times since i've had the machine (2 months). Always produces a corrupt error report aswell, so microsoft cant read it. Its never happened when doing any work though, only when idle.

2. Max and MS Outlook dont get on, in fact i've found outlook is sometimes unusable when max is open, if i want to type a message i have to shut max down first.

3. Max seems to hang for a very long time when i start it up, it loads all the pluggins ok then just hangs for 2-3 minutes, seem like ages.

There is the advantage of being able to access all of the ram on board though, the 64 bit machine can handle scenes that my dual 3.2 xeon just runs out of memory on.

Also, looking forward to the 64bit version of vray, (think max will need to be 64 bit aswell though) there should be a decent increase in rendertimes when that comes out.

see ya
                  steve

Comment

SteveC.
                    I dont think there is a big difference in price. I´m looking at a dual dualcore opteron gight now. I pay 12500 swedish kronor for it. don know the curency but its not far away from yours I think.
                    Daniel Westlund

Comment

Originally posted by roppin
                      SteveC.
                      I dont think there is a big difference in price. I´m looking at a dual dualcore opteron gight now. I pay 12500 swedish kronor for it. don know the curency but its not far away from yours I think.
                      Nice idea, just checked it out, i could buy 1 Dual dual core opteron 265 with 4gig ram for around £300 less than what i'm paying for 4 X2 4.2ghz,
                      definately sticking with the X2's i recon, based on that.

cheers
                      steve

Comment

SteveC:
                        For the outlook/max problem i have that same issue and im using xp pro... the secret is to stick max on below normal priority.. its basically doesnt affect render times but allows me to use outlook when max is rendering.. however if your problem is when max is just open and not rendering then obviously the priority thing wont help (I dont think)

Comment

I just put together a new render node last week. I first looked at using a Shuttle with an X2 proc but didn't care for the reviews I was reading on the chassis. I was also interested in getting the nodes away from my work area and into the server room. So I went with a 1U Tyan package. It ended up around $1,300(US). The Tyan server box came with the MOBO, PSU and CPU heat sink, CD-ROM and on-board video. So all I need to add was the CPU, RAM and HD. From the time I open the first box to the time I started installing the OS was about 15 minutes. I had the OS and apps done in about an hour. No problems whatsoever. My only complaint is that the system is REALLY LOUD!!!! When I flipped on the power, everyone in my wing prairie dogged and gave me that "WTF is that" look. Even my system administrator said "you're NOT going to put THAT THING in MY server room!" Anyway, it's in the server room happily rendering away. It's pretty fast too. Haven't done benchmarks yet.

- TYAN Transport GT20 B2865G20S4H 1U Barebone Server - Retail
                          - AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ Toledo 1GHz HT Socket 939 Dual Core Processor Model ADA4400CDBOX - Retail
                          - CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory - Retail
                          - Western Digital Caviar SE WD800JD 80GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM

Comment

Hi chaps

that trick you mentioned has got to be worth giving a try Daforce, i'll give it a go today, see what happens.

Pixel Jockey, thats a sleek little thing, never thought about those, I just automatically assumed they would be mega expensive so i did'nt bother, are they really that noisy? My dual xeon is very noisy, once the new mahines come its getting moved with the slaves in to another room out of the way.

Comment

weard prices. Here in Sweden a opteron x2 265 cost 472 dollar, tax included
                              Daniel Westlund

Comment

Working...
                              X