Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shaders in realtime in 3dsmax viewports ? Any ideas ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaders in realtime in 3dsmax viewports ? Any ideas ?

Hi there.

Looking at nextgen games (like FarCry:Crysis , UT2007 etc) I feel like my PC can handle tons of refract/reflect effects, per pixel lighting and all that stuff, nextgen brings to us! At least, my videocard is DX 9 capable (R4xx) and recent games looked pretty much neat. But, when it comes to 3dsmax viewports - seems like I don't have dx9 powered card and it's still 20th century!
    So I'm asking - maybe there's a way to enable GPU power in, at least, viewports ? For ex. to see refractions or glossy surfaces ?
    I tried to write my own shaders via rendermonkey from ATI, but 3dsmax fails to render 'em

Any ideas ?
    I just can't seem to trust myself
    So what chance does that leave, for anyone else?
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    CG Artist

there is a new interactive renderer for max, haven't played with it yet http://www.redway3d.com/
    Eric Boer
    Dev

Comment

It requires NVIDIA graphic card . My card is ATI! Shame on me

But good news

We're currently developing the ATI version of the Redviewer. It should be available soon. We'll release it as fast as possible !
      CG Artist

Comment

Interesting... But I don't think it works with Vray!
        LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
        HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
        Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

Comment

Ok. We found GPU renderer. But - max got *.fx (HLSL) shaders (DirectX material). He can read it and write (so the games will look just like in viewports). BUT every single shader, that were made outside max (smth really complicated) can't be read by 3dsmax Shader compiled, it works I know it! But...... Maybe you know the problem how to solve it ?
          CG Artist

Comment

Which GPU Renderer did you find?
            LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
            HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
            Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

Comment

The problem is that max isnt 100% .fx compatible afaik. You might wanna try joining the official autodesk webboard there is a section dedicated to just that if i recall right. Also you can actually write custom viewports with the current sdk (wich means you can have your actual target engine display your max scene in a max viewport)

Thorsten

Comment

jujubee
                It's not actually a GPU renderer or whatever! Just shaders, which max SHOULD parse in realtime!!!!

instinct
                I knew that Damn autodesk . . .
                CG Artist

Comment

FX files are not neatly transferable. They are not a standardised file format like a 3d model they are a program. While the shader version determines which functions can be used on which card there are no rules regarding how the shader should interface with the myriad of 3d engines.They need to be addapted to whatever engine they are used in because every engine is different and has it's own semantics. So a shader produced in Render Monkey or CG compiler or wherever will not work straight out of the box in the 3d Max viewport.

Comment

Strange... HLSL is standartized language. Engine to be able to support dx9 MUST parse whole the basic functions! Stupid autodesk . . . .
                    CG Artist

Comment

Saying the HLSL is a standardised language, so shaders from here should work there is a bit like saying tools in max and maya are both written in c++ so they should be interchangable.

Comment

Working...
                      X