X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blur switches to XSI !!!

http://features.cgsociety.org/story_...id=3597&page=2

Notable part from the article:

Blur is switching over to XSI for rigging and animation at the moment. This year’s short film, "A Gentleman's Duel", is actually Blur’s first project being fully animated in XSI and so far everything seems to be working great. They're still modeling, lighting and rendering in Max but just using XSI for animation.

I don't like this one bit - what does it mean ? surely the guys at blur see whatever is coming down the pipe for the next release of max, and if they aren't enticed enough to stick with it until then, what can that say about the next release ?

It is unsettled - blur are a big max house. Unnerving.

next we will loose blizzard. nooooooooo
    hehe

---------------------------------------------------
    MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
    stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

hmmm a little scary
      Cheers,
      -dave
      ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 1950X ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 2990WX ■ ASUS PRIME X399 - 2990WX ■ GIGABYTE AORUS X399 - 2990WX ■ ASUS Maximus Extreme XI with i9-9900k ■

Comment

Hi,

I think they wont dump 3dsmax completely. They have written so much tools for it.
        But on the other hand I like that they switched to xsi and not to maya

Regards,
        Dieter
        --------
        visit my developer blog

Comment

We've decided to switch only our animation and rigging over to XSI. Viewport speed when working with multiple characters with biped was one of main reasons. The speed and flexibility of the rigging tools was another factor. FaceRobot was a factor as well. We talked with Autodesk about some of our concerns and at the time we discussed it they were not able to help us. From what I understand they are working to address some (if not all) of our concerns in the next release of max. We have been using XSI for animation here and there on projects for around a year now. Its only now that animation is being completely done in XSI, with our short film being the first.

There are no plans of switching any other areas of production away from max as far as I'm aware. We are still quite happy with max, but if "tool A" does something better than "tool B". Sometimes its worth making the change.

Tim J
          www.seraph3d.com
          Senior Generalist
          Industrial Light & Magic

Environment Creation Tutorial
          Environment Lighting Tutorial

Comment

Re: Blur switches to XSI !!!

Originally posted by Adam H. Stewart
            I don't like this one bit -
            I do.
            Of the two I much prefer XSI. In fact if it wasn't for MAX's spline tools, DWG support and Vray, I'd drop it completely in favour of XSI.

Comment

i plan on doing a film with the quality of LOTR and to do this im switching my 3d package over to truespace hehehee kidding.
              i do agree with what was said though. is tool A doesnt do something you need then goto tool B. however you have to admit that max is one of those tools which you can purchase alot of different versitile add-on tools.

---------------------------------------------------
              MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
              stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

Max needs a good kick in the ass instead of bug fixes they sell as new releases with the ocassional new feature thrown in.
                LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
                HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
                Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

Comment

On that cusp

Thanks for your response Tim J -

I'm so worried simply because I am on the very edge of buying my own home copy of 3ds. It is a big chunk of change - I had decided against switching to maya for various reasons - had looked at XSI about 2 years ago and was convinced it was the wave of the future, started to learn it and then threw in the towel when it just wasn't gathering the head of steam I thought it would - I just don't know enough people using XSI to get a true read on what it is like to work with, there are also very few models and tutorials available, although it is getting better. Now I'm back on that fence again - there is so much uncertainity right now, Siggraph can't come quick enough, I want the next version of max to be blisteringly good so I don't have to go on that learning carnival ride again especially when you consider that Vray is 90% of the final equation .

Comment

this is not new. I have read about this some month ago. However they are not switching to xsi all together. They feel that max lacks in animation/rigging a lot, thats the reason they choose xsi. But still, then will export their animation to max for final rendering.
                    But, its most defenent that max is not doing so great. But then again, maya eather.
                    I said this before, if vray was out for xsi, i'd jump on it asap.
                    Dmitry Vinnik
                    Silhouette Images Inc.
                    ShowReel:
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
                    https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

Well. Hopefully it's incentive for them (Discreet) to continually develop a better product. Competition is a good thing.
                      LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
                      HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
                      Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

Comment

naw, i think if autodesk sees a competitor in xsi, they will just buy them out hahaha
                        Dmitry Vinnik
                        Silhouette Images Inc.
                        ShowReel:
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
                        https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

Originally posted by Morbid Angel
                          naw, i think if autodesk sees a competitor in xsi, they will just buy them out hahaha
                          heh, no kidding, i expect this to happen

Comment

Wow Xsi is that good

Wow so XSI is that good, I'll have to dig up my old tutorials and check it out once again. They have a starter level that is under $500, worth considering based on your opinions and blurs decision. Of course I will still need a solution for rendering, maybe I can get them to foot the bill at work, so I will be able to import to max and still render in Vray. If blur are doing it ( I think they mainly use Brazil ) then you must be able to do it right ?

Food for thought, I only wish all this was nearer to siggraph, so I could judge based on the lastest release - decisions, decisions.

Comment

Well basically there's nothing max can't reDO, but animation flexibility slightly higher. Maybe there's just somebody new came to 'em ?
                              I just can't seem to trust myself
                              So what chance does that leave, for anyone else?
                              ---------------------------------------------------------
                              CG Artist

Comment

Working...
                              X