No announcement yet.

Blur switches to XSI !!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have to say I´m quite p sed at max right now for a lot of reasons .

1. It´s very smooth when trying something out but deadline everything goes wrong!
    2. the controller list don't work as one would expect together with a lot of things.
    3. Max viewport is a drag compared to xsi witch seems to swallow even more ploys than z.brush. (that by it self is a very strong selling point)
    it costs half the price of max (essentials) not to say a fraction (base)

I admit the modeller in max is good especially for hard surface. but how good can it be? I do all my organic modelling in Silo nowadays because The work flow, poly count, and the editing of subd surface suits me better.
    It seems like a trend to diverge the modelling from the rest of the process by seeing a load of modellers like modo 201, Silo, wings, hexagon, zbrush and mudbox coming. I guess this is made possible by acceptably mature modell formats like .obj. (Not that it is that good but anyway more predictable than filmbox- in max anyway.) I hope this is a trend that will also catch other areas of the 3d realm
    I´m really looking forward to the day we see different small programs aimed to one task, and I can chose whatever I want from what ever I want.

ah well thats my 2 cents

/Daniel

edit. I forgot. vray for xsi would make me flip on the spot!
    Daniel Westlund

Comment

Originally posted by roppin
      I
      It seems like a trend to diverge the modelling from the rest of the process by seeing a load of modellers like modo 201, Silo, wings, hexagon, zbrush and mudbox coming.
      So, do u think silo is worth the try, although u have third party modelling helpers like polyboost or orionflame in max?

Have you tried any convenient 3d paint app? I used to be happy with bodypaint but i can't use it anymore, and texturing with zbrush is unnecessarily complex, and can't deal with layers natively... What about modo 201?

I personally loved XSI, I used it to model mainly and it was fast and reliable. Now, Max has improved a lot and i don't think u should switch to xsi just to model and unwrap. I am happy with biped too, but i know professional animators hate it and love xsi non linear animation.

It looks like people are afraid of maya nowadays, because its future is at least uncertain...
      My Youtube VFX Channel - http://www.youtube.com/panthon
      Sonata in motion - My first VFX short film made with VRAY. http://vimeo.com/1645673
      Sunset Day - My upcoming VFX short: http://www.vimeo.com/2578420

Comment

@ panthon. I havn´t tried polyboost or orionflame. But my main cause of modelling in another app is the view port. Silo resembles of xsi in many ways. like the tweak function, multiedit mode where you access vertex, polygons and edges all at the same time and the xsi subd where you don't need a cage as the vertex points are on the surface. Still I don't use it for hard surface, cause it lacks parametric modifiers.
        I can´t tell if it´s a good idea to by Silo. Depends on the modelling. But they have a 30 day trial to download and the full price is only 108$ also. the learning curve is not that steep I think. probably the easiest app I ever tried
        Silo 2 is a free upgrade and it will contain displacement painting and uv editing witch resembles of pelt mapping among other things. Go to their news section on the forum to watch videos of coming things.
        Daniel Westlund

Comment

Originally posted by roppin
          @ panthon. I havn´t tried polyboost or orionflame. But my main cause of modelling in another app is the view port. Silo resembles of xsi in many ways. like the tweak function, multiedit mode where you access vertex, polygons and edges all at the same time and the xsi subd where you don't need a cage as the vertex points are on the surface. Still I don't use it for hard surface, cause it lacks parametric modifiers.
          I can´t tell if it´s a good idea to by Silo. Depends on the modelling. But they have a 30 day trial to download and the full price is only 108$ also. the learning curve is not that steep I think. probably the easiest app I ever tried
          Silo 2 is a free upgrade and it will contain displacement painting and uv editing witch resembles of pelt mapping among other things. Go to their news section on the forum to watch videos of coming things.
          Thanks for the info! I will take a look!
          My Youtube VFX Channel - http://www.youtube.com/panthon
          Sonata in motion - My first VFX short film made with VRAY. http://vimeo.com/1645673
          Sunset Day - My upcoming VFX short: http://www.vimeo.com/2578420

Comment

So many applications

Jesus there are so many 3D applications - I used to think I was pretty savvy having a general sense of the main ones - max, maya, lightwave, C4D, XSI - but now I hear about Silo and modo and mudbox (I know it is only a beta deal ) - my head is spinning.

Has anybody used XSI with z-brush, I have seen some great stuff done with those two (mainly Stan Winston), I have used z-brush with max, but viewport is a definite problem with the higher polycounts - it seems from what you guys are saying is stablility and polygon count are two big pluses for xsi.

My main problem now is my computer blew up ( went of fire ) about 2 weeks ago, I was going to get a pre-package purpose built deal from boxxtech with max, ( you get a pretty good discount ) Now I'm not sure which app I want to get on the damn thing - can I hold until siggraph without a box ?

Decisions, decisions

Comment

the renderer is the most important part of a 3d app.
              if you are a small studio go with max and vray.

investing in additional 3d apps with file transfer problems is just a waste of time and money.

i have to hire two freelancers working with maya sometimes.
              they are really skilled artists but their animations look always "old" because they cant render with GI in an exeptable time.

my customers notice that and i now hire them only if i cant get max/vray people.
              Reflect, repent and reboot.
              Order shall return.

Comment

Working...
              X