Max modeling...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Max modeling...

I've always done my modeling in Max and then imported into 3ds for arch visualization. I've recently begun exploring doing all the modeling in max. My question is, what kind of workflow do all you Max modelers usually use? For example, op a 10 story building exterior would you trace the elevations in Autocad as plines, then import those into Max and start there? or do you simply clean-up the dwg a little, then use max's file linking and trace the elevations in max? I completely understand the benefits of modeling everything in max, but I am struggling with getting useful cad info in quickly as a template without Max bogging down.

Any suggestions?
    Ryan

Personally, I know Max and I don't know Autocad, so I bring the elevations directly into Max and trace it in splines there.

Generally though I can just directly import the elevations as a DWG and already have splines to go off of. Depending on the source of the DWG, sometimes I'll open autocad and delete anything I don't need to make importing into max faster. (And avoid the bogging down you speak of.) Also, hide all the splines that you aren't immediately working with, to speed up the viewport.

Depending on the complexity of the building, I will sometimes use the imported splines directly in the model (extrude/etc) or sometimes I would maybe model from scratch and just use the DWG as reference. Like many things, usually every situation calls for a slightly different approach...
    | LinkedIn | Twitter | JCanimator.com |

Comment

In autocad, right click and quick select, then get rid of all text, dimensions, hatches, points and any other special objects. Ideally you just want lines, splines, polylines arcs & circles. I think.

So long as theyre not shit drawings, after a bit of manual cleaning up too you can import a ridiculous amount of dwg's without much slowdown.

Comment

I just got the CG Academy technical modeling DVD by Chris Thomas yesterday and started going through it. Great stuff in that. He uses both cadd vector data as well as bitmaps of the drawings mapped on to planes (show map in viewport, opacity at 50%) as a starting point for the modeling. Any one else use this technique?

Comment

Wouldn't consider doing accurate architectural modelling in Max - only ADT/AutoCAD. Then use Max for awkward stuff like furniture/fixtures/planting etc.

Best of both worlds IMHO
          Kind Regards,
          Richard Birket
          ----------------------------------->
          http://www.blinkimage.com

----------------------------------->

Comment

I'm not really looking for a ACAD vs Max modeling debate. Again, I've been doing the majority of my modeling in Autocad over the past 10 years and now I've decided that the benefits of Max modeling (staying in 1 program, easy revisions, more tools available) outweigh the accuracy of Autocad. Just looking for tips...

Comment

Originally posted by rfellers
              I just got the CG Academy technical modeling DVD by Chris Thomas yesterday and started going through it. Great stuff in that. He uses both cadd vector data as well as bitmaps of the drawings mapped on to planes (show map in viewport, opacity at 50%) as a starting point for the modeling. Any one else use this technique?
              Yep, thoughs are pretty much "The" two methods.
              Eric Boer
              Dev

Comment

We either import the CAD data into Max through the File Link Manager (which usually doesn't work for us because of the particular CAD package most of our projects were done in) or we simply get out our architectural scale and measure off a printed set of drawings. The positioning of a textured plane within max is never high enough resolution and ends up being too dependent on the quality of the scan.

Comment

for my stuff i was happy with the 4k texture res nvidia cards support (ati only has support for 2k max texture size - at least for their x800 and 1300 cards)
                  you have to keep the images strictly at power of two size though (and resize the image planes in max to correct for any distortion if needed)

but i only needed it to look correct

hmmn, let me do a naive calculation:
                  printed (or ideally high-res digital) plan for a building that's 20m high

final texture 4096 pixels high --> 20m/4096=0.00488 meters per pixel
                  -->about half a centimeter accuracy

ok, if you scan it you lose some accuracy and scaling also loses detail
                  but anyway
                  isnt working in max about vizualisation and not about producing actual plans for building the house?

Comment

Working...
                  X