blur studios

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blur studios

wasnt there an article a while back about blur buying some v-ray seats?
    Cheers,
    -dave
    ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 1950X ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 2990WX ■ ASUS PRIME X399 - 2990WX ■ GIGABYTE AORUS X399 - 2990WX ■ ASUS Maximus Extreme XI with i9-9900k ■

I think they have pretty much everything there, hmm except never heard them mention final render. I know they have done some work in VRay there. Maybe Serraph will add some detail.
    Eric Boer
    Dev

Comment

they used some vray seats back before Brazil had 3d moblur.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

We do have several licenses of Vray. I am one of few supervisors (if not the only one) who uses Vray on projects from time to time. When we choose to use it it is amost always on environment renders and only to fill specific needs. Usually to crunch through high poly environments or for scenes that would be a lot easier to build if we used displacement on it. It has been used to render at least some shots, if not all, on about 4 projects. Blurs pipeline is very centered around Brazil which can make it more trouble than its worth sometimes to try to mix passes being rendered from different renderers together. We have also started looking into Mental Ray more as well. Nearly every project in the studio renders at least one pass out of mental ray these days.

Tim J
        www.seraph3d.com
        Senior Generalist
        Industrial Light & Magic

Environment Creation Tutorial
        Environment Lighting Tutorial

Comment

interesting seraph, let me know if your looking for another vray guy need to out number these silly brazil people.
          Chris Jackson
          Shiftmedia
          www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

Seraph - any particular reason why you don't use Vray in production more often? I'm curious to see what you think are it's limitations.
            LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
            HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
            Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Seraph135
              We do have several licenses of Vray. I am one of few supervisors (if not the only one) who uses Vray on projects from time to time. When we choose to use it it is amost always on environment renders and only to fill specific needs. Usually to crunch through high poly environments or for scenes that would be a lot easier to build if we used displacement on it. It has been used to render at least some shots, if not all, on about 4 projects. Blurs pipeline is very centered around Brazil which can make it more trouble than its worth sometimes to try to mix passes being rendered from different renderers together. We have also started looking into Mental Ray more as well. Nearly every project in the studio renders at least one pass out of mental ray these days.

Tim J
              Thanks for the info Tim, much appreciated

-dave
              Cheers,
              -dave
              ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 1950X ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 2990WX ■ ASUS PRIME X399 - 2990WX ■ GIGABYTE AORUS X399 - 2990WX ■ ASUS Maximus Extreme XI with i9-9900k ■

Comment

Originally posted by jujubee
                any particular reason why you don't use Vray in production more often? I'm curious to see what you think are it's limitations.
                In my opinion, Vray is currently superior to Brazil (in its 1.2 version). I have not yet used Brazil 2. I choose to use vray on a project or not for many other reasons besides what it can or can't do. The biggest reasons are that we have a lot of people all working on a particular shots together. If I use 3d motion blur or displacement or something specific to Vray, then everyone else down the pipeline will have to use it, especially if they need to matte their FX with the environment. Another big reason is that Blur has been a Brazil studio for many years now and most of the tools are built around that. Brazil shaders and Vray shaders don't work together. Character models are always done with brazil shaders, and a lot of FX are rendered with Scanline. So when deciding to use Vray or not I have to make sure that it doesn't conflict with any other areas of the pipeline...OR...that all team members know up front that the project will be done with Vray and explain to them why.

Tim J
                www.seraph3d.com
                Senior Generalist
                Industrial Light & Magic

Comment

A side note for those who may not know this, at least one of the two guys who created Brazil worked at Blur when he began development the renderer that came to be known as Brazil. As such, I am sure it met a lot of their specific needs at the time and likely a good reason it is implemented so deep in their pipeline.

Comment

Tim, did you do much on Gentlemans duel?
                    Chris Jackson
                    Shiftmedia
                    www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

Originally posted by jacksc02
                      Tim, did you do much on Gentlemans duel?
                      Actually, I was one of a very small team of people who stayed on paying jobs while GD was in production. So while most people were on GD I was on the "Bioshock" trailer cinematic. It can be seen on Gametrailers.com if anyone is interested. Just a heads up about that one though...Its a bit violent, so careful if your watching it at work. To see GD you'll have to wait until after the Oscars.

Tim J
                      www.seraph3d.com
                      Senior Generalist
                      Industrial Light & Magic

Comment

Guys is there any ideas on using shader SDK Vlado gave us with 1.5 ? Just curious...
                        P.S. We're all here from 2003
                        I just can't seem to trust myself
                        So what chance does that leave, for anyone else?
                        ---------------------------------------------------------
                        CG Artist

Comment

is that the right place for that comment paul?
                          Chris Jackson
                          Shiftmedia
                          www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

I thought smbd like the one, who works in Blur, can show me an examples of what can be done...
                            I just can't seem to trust myself
                            So what chance does that leave, for anyone else?
                            ---------------------------------------------------------
                            CG Artist

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Oblomov
                              I thought smbd like the one, who works in Blur, can show me an examples of what can be done...
                              I don't mind the hijack, was a legitimate question

now if he was asking about the colour of someones underwear then I would prob have a minor objection to it :P

-dave
                              Cheers,
                              -dave

Comment

Working...
                              X