Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Ocean Waves Sim

Hey everyone,

just had been pointed to this by some friends. Looks pretty neat and is free. It´s tileable and based on the Tessendorf Paper.

Maybe helps

http://charles.hollemeersch.net/Projects/24/oceanwaves

Regards,
    Thorsten

Wooo hooo!!!

Many thanks Thorsten!

You can never have enough ocean shaders

Rob.
    .:www.mcphersonyachtdesign.com:.

Comment

Cool looking plugin. Thanks for the link. I wonder if it works with max9.

Regards,
      Mike
      http://mikebracken.cgsociety.org/gallery/

Comment

That looks damn cool.

Pity its a max6 plugin tho

Comment

wow very cool. Its not a shader though. Too bad its scale is not changeable.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

for the max9 peeps I wonder if an animated displacement map could be made and used.. wonder what render times will be like.

Might give it a shot.

Comment

Interesting idea daforce. I have had very little control over animated noise. But diplacement..........Hmmmm

Regards,
              Mike
              http://mikebracken.cgsociety.org/gallery/

Comment

Well tested it out and it works fairly well.

Rendertime is alot higher for the displacement version, but that is just using default displacement. Im sure it could be possible to get lower rendertimes with better setup of the displacement.
                I was doing this all thru VNC so couldnt really be arsed testing it all too much

With the displacement version I used the water level to cut of the flat edges around the waves, if you used a large area these parts would be off screen and not matter how they looked.

Using the Plugin. 24s

Using 3D Displacement, 1m44s

Using 2D Displacement, 1m34s

Comment

ya I did some messing with it as well. The plugin object looks alot better with a smooth modifier on it. Turbosmooth just jack it up big time.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

Yeah I noticed that as well, it looks very faceted. I imagine a smooth mod would help a fair bit too without adding to the poly count.

Comment

yeah it works well. completely screws your viewport performance though...

Comment

Yeah i imagine it would

I wonder if it will ever be re-written for max9, and maybe with more scale/tiling control.

Comment

wooohooo! i can't believe it! and it's free! and tileable! amazing! too good to be true!

instinct, you've made my day! hell, you've made my year!

Comment

ahh, ofcourse, too good to be true - it doesn't work with max 9?

Comment

As I said early.. no it doesnt. Hence my tests with displacement for using in max9

Comment

Working...
                              X