No announcement yet.

Good laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dynedain, Parallels isn't really an ideal solution for network rendering because it only utilises 1 core as the other core is used by osx.

Comment

Originally posted by crazy homeless guy
      i was considering picking this laptop up, but the screen resolution is 1240x800. that worries me a bit when working in any of my graphic apps, but i keep hearing that i will not appreciate a big laptop as much because of portability.
      I say it all depends on how many places you will be taking it. If it will just move between home and office, I would definately go with a bigger screen size. But if you intend on using it wherever the wind blows, I can assure you that you would be content with the smaller resolution.

Best of both worlds? Get a docking station for Home/Office and a smaller laptop with decent graphics acceleration.
      Ben Steinert
      pb2ae.com

Comment

Originally posted by beestee
        Originally posted by crazy homeless guy
        i was considering picking this laptop up, but the screen resolution is 1240x800. that worries me a bit when working in any of my graphic apps, but i keep hearing that i will not appreciate a big laptop as much because of portability.
        I say it all depends on how many places you will be taking it. If it will just move between home and office, I would definately go with a bigger screen size. But if you intend on using it wherever the wind blows, I can assure you that you would be content with the smaller resolution.

Best of both worlds? Get a docking station for Home/Office and a smaller laptop with decent graphics acceleration.
        i think i am going to go with the the dv9000t, with a 32bit version of Vista. i don't think it offered it before, but it now offers 1680x1050 wsxga screen. i am config'ing it the 512mb option on the graphics card to push the screen. overall, the laptop is alot larger than want i want, but the min work area i need is 1240x1080.

i am guessing i will have to roll it back to XP for a couple of months until Vista manages to stabilize, and aquire better support from vendors.

Comment

Well I think I decided on a dell 15" or 17" lappy.
          With the discounts they have online you get $500 off, extra ram, bigger HDD, then with another 8% discount coupon it comes out at 3k (AUD) for the 17" model. Thats with a 1920x1024 (or whatever it is) screen a 7900gs video card 2gb ram..etc..etc.. pretty sweet package

Comment

I was planning to purchase a notebook with price under $2k two months ago. I was looking at DELL, HP, Alienware, Toshiba, Acer.

I ended up with ASUS G1 notebook, they consider it as a gamer's notebook, but for $2k you get:

Processor: ASUS G1 Intel® Core™2 Duo T7200 (2.0GHz)
            Screen: 15.4" WSXGA+ (1680x1050) ColorShine
            RAM: 2048M DDR2 667
            Hard Disk: 160GB HD 5400 RPM
            Graphics: NVIDIA GeForceGo 7700 GPU 512 MB
            Optical Drive: M-a-t-s-h-i-t-a DVD-RAM UJ-850S DVD RW DL (No LightScribe)
            Wireless: A/B/G + Bluetooth
            Card Reader: MMC, SD, MS, MS-Pro
            1.3 Mega Pixel camera with microphone

Seriously good stuff, that was also the only notebook in that price range with NVIDIA GeForceGo 7700 GPU 512 and 15.4" WSXGA+ (1680x1050)

The only thing i've noticed is that keyboard has bothering bending in left/top corner, but maybe i'm just too picky.

Comment

Originally posted by intero_ua
              I was planning to purchase a notebook with price under $2k two months ago. I was looking at DELL, HP, Alienware, Toshiba, Acer.

I ended up with ASUS G1 notebook, they consider it as a gamer's notebook, but for $2k you get:

Processor: ASUS G1 Intel® Core™2 Duo T7200 (2.0GHz)
              Screen: 15.4" WSXGA+ (1680x1050) ColorShine
              RAM: 2048M DDR2 667
              Hard Disk: 160GB HD 5400 RPM
              Graphics: NVIDIA GeForceGo 7700 GPU 512 MB
              Optical Drive: M-a-t-s-h-i-t-a DVD-RAM UJ-850S DVD RW DL (No LightScribe)
              Wireless: A/B/G + Bluetooth
              Card Reader: MMC, SD, MS, MS-Pro
              1.3 Mega Pixel camera with microphone

Seriously good stuff, that was also the only notebook in that price range with NVIDIA GeForceGo 7700 GPU 512 and 15.4" WSXGA+ (1680x1050)

The only thing i've noticed is that keyboard has bothering bending in left/top corner, but maybe i'm just too picky.
              i don't think that is a picky issue. i think people under rate the importance of being happy with the physical aesthetic, and durability of electronics. my favorite to laptops right now are Sony and Apple for their design, unfortunately they both charge a premium for that, so they are not on my list of possibilities.

the laptop from HP that i am looking at is neatly identical in specs, but is coming in at $1666 before warranty. they only difference is the card reader, and i configured with a slower processor (1.7 i think) because on HP's model, anything faster than that it goes to a 64bit chip, which i suppose wouldn't matter, so maybe i will look into it again. i am only running 32, so i didn't want to pay the premium for 64 if i wasn't running a 64 os.

i might go back and reprice a Dell, but my biggest turn off on their laptops are the screens. i am picky about my screen.

Comment

Has anyone found the option of getting right away 4 GB RAM without having to purchase the (2) 2GB cards afterwards and basically tossing the (2) 1GB cards that come with the computer? And....has anyone out there tried and/or seen the ACER 20" notebooks?

Comment

Working...
                X