easy removal of extra verts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• easy removal of extra verts?

I just performed a shape merge on a piece of geometry and now have all these extra verts that aren't connecting more then 3 edges. Is there a script that will find these lonely verts and remove them? I searched scriptspot but didn't really find anything.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Here's my thought...

Edit Poly modifier, switch to element subobject mode (the cube), select the elements you want to keep, hold down ctrl while switching to vertex mode, select inverse (edit pulldown), delete.

Comment

that doesn't really work, as when i click on elements, everything is one element. Try picturing a terrain where I imported cad lines for curbs and such and shape merged them. The spline with its verts merged with the terrain plane object creating alot of unneccessary verts. I want them removed.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

i think there is a modifier something like - normalize spline...check it out.
        Dmitry Vinnik
        Silhouette Images Inc.
        ShowReel:
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
        https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

If the vertex are floating without any kind of connection you can try:

1- Select the mesh/poly.
          2- Go to vertex level.
          3- Hit 'Remove Isolated Vertices'

Comment

thanks for the help so far. Im aware of the normalize spline modifier, but not sure how it would help me? Unfortunately these extra verts are connected by 2 edges, which makes them unneccessary but not floating without a connection. Ive been just removing them old school style so far.

Comment

turn to poly modifier will remove mid edge verts.

i definitely recall seeing a script for something similar also, but i can't remember what it would be called.
              Dave Buchhofer. // Vsaiwrk

Comment

turn to poly modifier will remove mid edge verts.
                Do you mean add edit poly modifier? I can't see vertices go away or do I see/understand this wrong?

I use shapemerge alot and having the same problem all the time. A fair deal of them I try to solve with weld, as they are mostly very close to other unnecessary verts. The rest is old skool remove... I hope there are not to much of them percy
                www.vknt.be

Comment

nope, the modifier is actually called 'turn to poly' for some reason
                  Dave Buchhofer. // Vsaiwrk

Comment

ill be damned if that didn't do EXACTLY what I needed! MUCHAS GRACIAS!!

Comment

Sorry for the misunderstanding dbuchhofer

But again, it doesn't remove those damn vertices
                      I unchecked/checked everything in the modifier..
                      Does it work with you percy?
                      www.vknt.be

Comment

Works for me here on Max 9. If I followed percy's dilema correctly, I made plane, created some text and shapemerged it onto the plan and got a lot of extra vertices that I didn't need. Added a Turn to Poly Modifier and it removed the extra-vertices like he needed. The key checkbox is the "remove Mid-Edge vertices". Cool.
                        www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

ya it worked for me. max 9. by default the remove mid vertices was checked. There were a few stray vertices it missed but frankly it got like the hundreds i didn't get manually.

Comment

Allrighty, works here too now. Perfect modifier for that job. Thanks for the tips .... and the patience till I got it right
                            www.vknt.be

Comment

Working...
                            X