Camera match accuracy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camera match accuracy

We are doing some camera matching type work in Max where we need to make fine adjustments to the position of a camera to allow the building (10 miles or so away from the camera) to go into the correct location.

The max scene is in meters.

We need to make fine adjustments to the camera position - 10 mm increments or so - in its position. The problem is, because we are so far away from the origin (even when working in meters), the camera does not move by the fine increments that we input. If we move it close to the origin, it works just fine.

This must be a common issue with accurate camera matching.

Any tips or suggestions (apart from converting the scene to km and working with stupidly small numbers)?

Kind Regards,
    Richard Birket
    ----------------------------------->
    http://www.blinkimage.com

----------------------------------->

Have you tried the Virtual viewport feature in Viewport configurations? There is a zoom factor that we use sometimes.

KG

Comment

Not sure about this, but i wonder if there is a difference between using UI to change the camera position or if it would be better to use the maxscript listener. The distance away from the origin is definetly a problem but the listener might help...again...i'm not sure though.
      -----Dwayne D. Ellis-----

Comment

I haven't had to mess with origin accuracy issues in the realm of camera matching, but I deal with it all of the time with our everyday 3d projects, because most of the source files we get come to us in state plane coordinate systems, etc. so values are in hundred millions, etc.

The solution for us has always been just use an offset to bring everything back towards origin. Not sure if that is an option with this camera matching work, but I'd strongly suggest it. We've even ran across weird rendering issues with it being so far away from origin.
        | LinkedIn | Twitter | JCanimator.com |

Comment

As SnipeyX said, I think this is a units issue. Try adjusting the Units in Max (not the displayed units, but the system units). There is also the slider for accuracy relative to the origin. Try adjusting that as well.

Comment

Working...
          X