No announcement yet.

New machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@askhamdesign - hard to say as I've a bunch of slaves. Render times were above 6+ minutes on the benchmark scene posted here in the forum.

I waited for prices to come down as well as the new AMDs to come out. I finally got tired of waiting.

Interesting to note that if I bought the same setup back in December, it would have run me over the $10k mark.
    LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
    HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
    Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

Comment

Yeah Ive got a feeling if I buy a X5355 now the price will drop the week after!
      Simon Askham - http://www.supercreative3d.com Rendering with Threadripper 2990WX Asus Prime X399 36GB DDR4

Comment

Lawl. And the week after that. And the week after that...

Then something new will come out that you will want. Then the price of that will drop a week after that...

I'm sure you could get a real good deal on a dual PIII 400 mhz Intel system if you want. In fact, I may have one for free you could take off my hands if you cover the cost of shipping and handling. It'll save me the cost of having to trash/recycle it. It's only about 8 years old now. It's good for surfing the web!

Personally speaking, I couldn't wait much longer on efficiency and I finally had a paycheck that covered the costs of building a new system. I also have a bunch (like 30) tiny little animations for one project that's around the corner and desperately needs to go out the door. Those were the main things influencing my decision.

Comment

Yeah I sold my old dual xeons for about 15% of what they cost me 4 years back!
          Simon Askham - http://www.supercreative3d.com Rendering with Threadripper 2990WX Asus Prime X399 36GB DDR4

Comment

Originally posted by jujubee
            I believe my socket type is 771 so I guess the answer would be no. I've had problems trying to find a replacement CPU fan for these boards.
            found these when looking for some on mine...
            http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=421

haven't got any yet but i think i might have to as my new machine seems to be getting very hot using passive cooling - i don't think the case fans are spinning up when it's under load (set to auto on bios) so i'm a bit scared to use it yet.

i'm using tyan i5000xt mobo and dual 5345 xeons.
            when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - hunter s. thompson

Comment

Those fans are a nice alternative. Socket 771 seems a bit difficult to accomodate. The processors I ordered came with Active fans from Intel. The passive series (no fan) I believe is open air cooling meant for rack servers.

Comment

Working...
              X