DR and network issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DR and network issues

I know there are probably some threads about this , but i can't read through all of them!

So, I have this problem with DR, but it's only maps that are a problem.
    I have on machine and one slave, xp 32 and xp x64 (main)...
    Vray 1.5 DR works great, but if there are textures, the slave can't see them during DR! I can fully control/access/modify all the files through the network in both directions, so I'm feeling like there are no security/firewall/permissions issues, etc.
    If, I use LeLe's stuff collector and put all the maps locally on the slave, than the problem goes away and DR renders fine.

So the point of this is to see why this is going on? I want the maps on the main computer in case I want to work on it with the slave not running, for example.

So, is there any way to make this work? it's really frustrating.
    Thanks,
    JR

edit: Actually, even after the slave can get the maps, the slave's buckets come out as different tone/lightness!? Maybe this is a lic. prob or VRay problem?

(see the flooring for problem buckets)

This doesn't look like a network problem, it looks like a raytrace problem. When you hit render, in the vray do you get an error that says something like, "Bounding box too large, may cause raytrace errors" or "Scene too far from origin..."

I have had the same problem, when either of those two errors appear in the Vray log, and only in raytraced vray materials, i.e. reflective or refractive materials. Once you can get rid of those error messages, those problems should be eliminated. Here's a thread on the topic:

http://www.chaosgroup.com/forum/phpB...t=bounding+box

The fastest way of fixing the bounding box problem IMHO is to scale the model down at render time, or change system units to scale it down (if you're not already in mm).
    "Why can't I build a dirigible with my mind?"

Comment

I get no errors at render start. Scene is almost literally centered at 0,0.
      I opened up the vrspawner.log on the slave and it showed something sort of bad looking?!

==========================
      1: [2007/Oct/1|10:46:48] Got this module name: C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 9\vrayspawner90.exe
      2: [2007/Oct/1|10:46:48] Got this INI file name: C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 9\VRaySpawner.ini
      3: [2007/Oct/1|10:46:48] *** ALERT! Could not open INI file: "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 9\VRaySpawner.ini". Using defaults.
      4: [2007/Oct/1|10:46:48] --
      5: [2007/Oct/1|10:46:48] Dumping current settings...

6: [2007/Oct/1|10:46:48] VRaySpawner temp dir: "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 9\network"
      7: [2007/Oct/1|10:46:48] Application name (MAX/VIZ): "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 9\3dsmax.exe"
      8: [2007/Oct/1|10:46:48] --
      9: [2007/Oct/1|10:46:48] Process id is 2268 (0x8dc)
      10: [2007/Oct/1|10:46:48] Executing ""C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 9\3dsmax.exe" -server C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 9\network\vraydummy90.max"
      11: [2007/Oct/1|11:01:09] ========================== Ending session

I'll read that thread, too.. Thanks Clifton!

Comment

And when I look for this missing ini file, it is really missing...Does anyone else have a VRaySpawner.ini in the max root dir?

Comment

I don't see it there, but I'm in Max 8.3, Vray RC2
          "Why can't I build a dirigible with my mind?"

Comment

Vlado just let me know the message is normal, soooo, back to guessing.
            it is apparent during the IRmap pre-pass...

thanks Clifton

Comment

@voltron7

I have had the same problem for a while until i found out that it was a mapped drive issue. I will try to explain.

I have 1 workstation and 2 slaves running WinXP Pro. On the workstation i have mapped a folder (d:\3dsmax\OutputA) as drive letter Z. The folder is then shared and all maps are placed here. I link the maps in Max to the network drive z:\ and it will get the path location \\Workstation\OutputA\ and everything will work fine. But for some reason even if i do the linking the same way as all ways, sometimes the path location will be only z:\ and then i get the same error as you. It´s odd because i can copy map files from the Z drive from any of the slaves without any problem.

So changing the location path did the trick for me - I hope it can help you!

Preisler
              Preisler

www.3dpixel.dk
              www.linkedin.com/in/3dpixel

Comment

Thanks Preisler, I'll give it a try, as well.

Comment

we got almost the same problem here...

did you resolve your problem,

ANd how did you did it.

thanks

Comment

No solution yet except not using maps with DR, LOL.
                    Sent the file to Vlado and he gave me some ideas to try, but none of them solved the problem. He may have moved on to other issues, I guess.

Could it be because one machine is X64 and the other is win2kpro?
                    Could it be a faulty network switch?

Comment

we sent the files to chaos . they try to find a solution. we start manually the vray spawner. everything is running like ooouuufff, but no textures. this morning, our netwok brake down. We change the switch. The dongles works great, each computers see each others. but not maps and materials. no problem with x 64 and 32. it<d doing the same thing with on X32 bits....

the direcories seems ok..

Comment

Working...
                      X