Snap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tricky View Post
    The 'issues' with snapping in Max are one of the reasons I much prefer to do my 3d modelling in Autocad and file link into Max. I know there are some things that are quicker in Max, but on balance, I prefer the robustness of typing '.xy', '.x of this but .y of that' etc within Autocad.
    I totally agree. Max snaps in my opinion kind of suck and never seem to snap where I want them to on the first try. For AutoCAD, in addition to the wonderfully simple '.xy', '.x', etc., I'll add that object tracking snaps are an invaluable tool to get things aligned between multiple objects quickly and precisely. Add to this using grips as snapping points and it's a somewhat perfect system. It amazes me that Max doesn't have a snapping system that can rival AutoCad. Admittedly, I don't model all that much in MAX so some of this is inexperience on my part but for arch/viz stuff it's really painfull to use sometimes.
    www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

Modeling

I don't like modeling in Autocad, although snaps are great there. I just modeled a large building using nothing but polys. I started out with one poly and grew my model from that one poly. I extended edges, connected edges, and all the other great tools for poly modeling. You can't touch this kind of modeling in autocad. You have total control over everything and it is great. Autocad is easy and predictable, but I feel it limits you. I teach Revit and Revit is extremely easy to model in, much easier than Autocad, but I never use it on my projects.

I am not sure my F5, F6, F7 works for me over my toolbar constraints, but it does.
      Bobby Parker
      www.bobby-parker.com
      e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
      phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
      • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
      • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
      • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
      • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

I used AutoCAD for over a decade and was definitely confused when I started using Max snaps. But now I don't have much trouble. (and I dread doing anything in autodcad)

As mentioned above, turn on Use Axis Constraints, use selection lock
        Turn on Snap Uses Axis Center (or something like that)
        Make a keyboard or toolbar toggle for Ortho and Polar Angle snaps.
        I like to toggle snaps off, start moving a vert or whatever, then turn snaps on mid drag. With the above setting, Use Axis Center, it snaps using the Axis.

Want to be really annoyed? zoom in close after you think you have snapped perfectly. Max does not have the same accuracy that Autocad does. But does it really matter?

Also get to know the Align command (Shift+A) there is a lot you can do with that. Use Normal Align and AutoGrid....

Get the Clone plugin (free) from Itoo or from maxplugins.de,

ok i'll stop and just say this, I have a lot more success modeling in Max when I accept that it is not Autocad or Maya or Rhino or any other application. Instead of focusing on how it doesn't work, I try and figure out how it does work and make it work for me. I'm much happier this way,

Comment

Working...
        X