No announcement yet.

Computer Specs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am just using SpeedFan right now, which is giving me probably 10 degrees warmer than what I would get from a better guage for a multi-core cpu like coretemp. After this first burn-in session I may try out coretemp to see which is showing warmer temps.

I say if you are getting different readings from different programs, it would be better to err on the side of safety and go with the one that says you are warmer.

From what I understand 90C is your point of no return, you are suffering CPU damage at that point and beyond. 80 C is a good threshold for max load, max heat saturation. 75-78C will be my magic number range for max load, max heat saturation for a rock-solid i7 920 OC.

EDIT:

Wow, running realtemp and coretemp I am getting much higher numbers, but they are also rating the i7 for a max of 95 C for realtemp and 100 C for coretemp. This does seem to be the consensus after reading through a few OC forum threads found in a google search.

I have a friend helping me with this and he says that you will hit the i7s processing stability threshold before you hit it's critical temperature threshold. So just be sure not to make your OC increments too large, test stability with SuperPi and Prime95, and just keep an eye on the temps just in case you start getting too close for comfort on those thresholds.
    Last edited by beestee; 23-01-2009, 12:50 PM.
    Ben Steinert
    pb2ae.com

Comment

i7

All up and running... WOW!

Scene on old machine - 5hrs, 40 min.
      Same scene new machine - 55 min.
      Bobby Parker
      www.bobby-parker.com
      e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
      phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
      • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
      • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
      • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
      • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

What was the spec of your old machine ?
        Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

was it an 8086?
          Many Thanks
          Patrick

Comment

Ha ha, I think it a was a x486...

Thinking back to the x686...when those came out I drooled all over myself, and I won't even begin to think about when the P2 400mhz came out...Just a miracle!
            Colin Senner

Comment

old specs

2-Intel Xeon 3.0Ghz
              8.0 GB of RAM
              XP x64
              Bobby Parker
              www.bobby-parker.com
              e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
              phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
              • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
              • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
              • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
              • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Wow - that sounds more like something amiss with your old machine, but either way I'm sure you are very happy

b
                Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com
                e: brett@heavyartillery.com

Comment

Guys,
                  What memory configuration are you using for 9gb? 3 x 2gb and 3 x 1gb?
                  Chris Jackson
                  Shiftmedia
                  www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

what do you guys think of the dell studio xps, also with the i7 and for about 700EUR?
                    for just a render node.

http://configure2.euro.dell.com/dell...=D02SX02&s=bsd

Comment

• they are good, but you can only fit 6gb in them due to the video card
                      Chris Jackson
                      Shiftmedia
                      www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

• Originally posted by jacksc02 View Post
                        they are good, but you can only fit 6gb in them due to the video card
                        yeah, noticed that. but you can go up to 8 if you change the card, but then the price goes up to.
                        8 seems to be the limit though, kind of stupid, isnt it?

Comment

• I think 6gb would be fine for a rendernode, so the price seems pretty decent. I presume the motherboard is pretty low spec and will not offer much in the way of OC'ing.
                          Patrick Macdonald
                          Lighting TD : http://reformstudios.com Developer of "Mission Control", the spreadsheet editor for 3ds Max http://reformstudios.com/mission-control-for-3ds-max/

Comment

• Since the thread has popped up again, I thought I might give an update as to why I have not posted any test results.

We had a pretty disasterous ice storm sweep the area last week, I have been spending most of my free time cleaning up from that. I did get to play with my new PC over the weekend a a tiny bit and I have found that I will need more cooling to reach my OC goal. I got up to 3.8 Ghz pretty easily, but my temps were rising far too fast for it to be stable. I have also done a little reading about the BIOS and familiarizing myself with others experiences in overclocking the i7. It seems that the i7 920 can be quite different from one processor to the next, and some of the voltage settings are pretty touchy in terms of reaching a stable overclock. Once I get my cooling situation under control (probably just adding one more 120mm case fan for now), I will take another stab at the OC. If successful, I will get everything installed for some tests. Hopefully by this weekend I can get a lot of this sorted out.

On a side note, I have run the system through it's paces at the default 2.66 Ghz and I cannot get the thing to show any sign of overload. Running Prime95 for 7 hours, the screen saver still runs silky smooth, and instantly snaps right out on user input. Pulling up the task manager, browsing the file explorer, and even moving the open windows around with aero enabled, all with Prime95 pusing the processor to it's limits, no lag whatsoever. It kinda makes me wonder why I am trying to overclock it, but then I see some new cinebench tests and I once again get the urge to push it further.

In light of that, I would imagine that the dell you are talking about would be quite impressive even at manufacturer specs as a rendernode.
                            Ben Steinert
                            pb2ae.com

Comment

• Hope all is back to normal now beestee, you'd have thought overheating wouldn't be a problem in a place where you get ice storms!

Patrick, I'm just wondering what made you go for the Biostar motherboard? I've had it with asus and was going to go for the Biostar or a Gigabyte. (from overclockers.co.uk probably)
                              www.peterguthrie.net
                              www.peterguthrie.net/blog/
                              www.pg-skies.net/

Comment

• Thank you Peter. Still do not have my DSL connection at home (could be another week), so I have to connect using my cell on EDGE, but other than that most everything is back to normal.

Some more reading has revealed to me that if you are going to overclock the i7, you absolutely must figure out your timings and clocking for RAM first. That seems to be where the i7 is a little touchy is in the onboard memory controller. Makes sense I guess. Once you have gotten what you want out of your RAM, you move on to the CPU. I have a feeling that this is why I hit a wall in my attempts. I was adjusting it all at once based on the suggested manufacturer specs
                                Ben Steinert
                                pb2ae.com

Comment

Working...
                                X