MAX 2009 tex.mapping nightmare...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MAX 2009 tex.mapping nightmare...

Ok, I must be missing something rediculously simple.

I am texture mapping an aircraft, mesh with turbosmooth.
    Great.

I am using a silly UVMap, planar mapping, along the lenght of the plane. In PS I have the profile of the plane as background, then I paint away, colors, plane windows, etc.

MAX applies the map accross the model, that is, if I map the left side of the plane, the map shows throught the right side as well.

Well, so far, perfect, because windows and graphics are indeed simmetric.

Now, I would like to map the name of the airline, on each side of the plane.
    I spent an hour trying to figure this out. No luck.

The writing cannot be embedded into the graphics, otherwise it will be flipped on one of the sides. So I created a separate map for the writing, to be applied twice, once each side. I cannof find a way to do that.

I tried to select half of the plane and assign the "left" side material, using a mesh select modifier, but the material gets applied to the whole mesh...

I tried UVWUnwrap, but the mesh is too complex for that tool.

How do you guys map this type of things?
    How do you prevent max from mapping ACCROSS the entire mesh using planar mapping?

Thank you

regards

If you select the faces you want to map in the sub-object level of the model in "face" mode, then with those faces selected add your UVMap on top of the stack it will only apply to the selected faces below.
    Colin Senner

Comment

In the Bitmap parameters, there is an option, "Show Map on Back" which becomes enabled if the bitmap is not tiled. Turn this OFF to prevent the map from showing mirrored on the opposite side of the aircraft. Then you can use two UVWMap modifiers to map the two images on either side.

That's what I managed to think of anyways, perhaps others will suggest different methods.

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
        In the Bitmap parameters, there is an option, "Show Map on Back" which becomes enabled if the bitmap is not tiled. Turn this OFF to prevent the map from showing mirrored on the opposite side of the aircraft. Then you can use two UVWMap modifiers to map the two images on either side.

That's what I managed to think of anyways, perhaps others will suggest different methods.

Best regards,
        Vlado
        OMG! that was it, now I can map only one side...thank you Vlado.

Now, I have to figure out how to apply multiple diffuse maps on the same mesh...probably map channels and UVMap modifiers, but then I need more than one material...?

thank you!

regards

gio

Comment

Max "double sided" material should do it
          Eric Boer
          Dev

Comment

Originally posted by Giovanni View Post
            Now, I have to figure out how to apply multiple diffuse maps on the same mesh...probably map channels and UVMap modifiers, but then I need more than one material...?

thank you!

regards

gio
            You can use the same material and use a Composite map to combine the textures for both sides. One texture can be mapped on channel 1, and the other on channel 2, for example.

Best regards,
            Vlado

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
              You can use the same material and use a Composite map to combine the textures for both sides. One texture can be mapped on channel 1, and the other on channel 2, for example.

Best regards,
              Vlado
              Yes, composite map works perfectly. I did not know it even existed: is it a MAX2009 addition?
              I can overlay multiple maps, just like photoshop layers, and address them singularly by channel number...also, to flip the texture on the other side, I used flip U, in the UVMap mod.

Here is my plane, number 3, bottom one...the first two were rendered in EIAS and Vray free...
              http://homepage.mac.com/gsucci/Rende...toAlbum42.html

Thank you for your help!

regards

gio

Comment

This particular version of the Composite map was added in 3ds Max 2009, yes - although even the old variant would have done the job.

Good that you solved your issues

Best regard,
                Vlado

Comment

Working...
                X