Overtime - where do you draw a line?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overtime - where do you draw a line?

Over the years working around in many various studios and on many various projects you of course are going to do a fair bit of overtime.
    This is quite normal and understandable in our job and industry. But what if the overtime is pushing you too far? I am faced yet again with this situation. On one hand there is a project deadline, which is in a ridicules time frame, on another your family and personal life is on the line. You do not want to jeopardize the relationship with the studio you work with by refusing the OT...and intern placing the project at risk, and you cannot say no to your loved ones who put up with you not being there.

So where to draw the line? how to tell your boss - this is enough without him thinking that you do not want to coming 100%?

It is Sunday and I am in the office along with few fellow coworkers...
    Dmitry Vinnik
    Silhouette Images Inc.
    ShowReel:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

We've all been there man. Kind of tough to speak up in this current economy. I guess only you know when its gone too far.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

when i feel like grabbing an ak 47 and blastin some shit down ?
      Dmitry Vinnik
      Silhouette Images Inc.
      ShowReel:

Comment

hmmm

Yea i know what you mean to and i got laid off, i look back now and i wish i would have just worked it out. O_O

Now im working a completely different job since the market is so shitty. Anyways these are things we dont think about at the moment we are frustrated.

Hope you make the right decision...
        Ruben Gil
        www.spvisionz.com
        www.linkedin.com/in/s2vgroup

Comment

Its a hard one...on one hand you dont want the client to think you arent committed to the job. Have you done much work for the client already...if they think you are good at your job and they would use you again Im sure you could be honest. Im pretty sure clients push and push people (not every client, but some) because they know people wont say no...kind of unfair. I think honesty is the best policy. If I had that feeling where it didnt feel right for you I would estimate how much longer you think you need to work to finish the job and then gauge if you think it is worth saying anything. If it is only a few more days then maybe you could just put up with it and then take a small break with your family after the work. If you feel the client is taking the piss then I guess you do need to say something. Its not nice to have a client have you over a barrel because they know you wont say no because you need the money and work. Im sure you could come to some agreement. I never say no to a client, but I always try and come to some kind of agreement that doesnt always put you in a bad position. Good luck
          Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

yeah its the case. More then that, I have a friend who runs his own company, not related to vfx...but he says that they put up a quota for their employees to do by the end of the month, if they do it, then they raise the quota by 10% and see if they can do that, and continue to do so until they cant cope with it, and thats how they know that they've reached their cap. How fair is this? to employees its not, but in business world the more profit the better, and in almost every case we are replacable, no matter how good you can be.
            Dmitry Vinnik
            Silhouette Images Inc.
            ShowReel:

Comment

It especially sucks when you put in everything you've got to finish something, and while your employer may or may not show appreciation, they then consider it the norm that you'll do that for damn near every job in the future.

Thankfully my current job isn't like that at all!

Comment

here in SA there a successful TV commercial showing what is too far. It is about car sales people. There are 3 different versions. (or 4)

The 1st one:
                The guy gets home and arrives late at the dinner table (again) He greets his son, wife and comments on the nice food. Also you see an old man sitting there. (the grandpa) The guy says "this food looks good. So? where's grandma?" Everybody gets sad faces and you realise grandma has been dead for a while and he missed it.

Second one.
                Guy arrives home and gets "greeted" by his doggy. Guy wants to play ball and calls doggy closer. Doggy doesn't recognise him since he obviously hasn't been home much and wants to bite him. Guy runs away from dog and hides in car.

3rd one (for the girls)
                You see a guy on the phone getting directions from some woman to add this and press those buttons. It looks like he is busy with something very important like maybe disabling a bomb. Woman then says "sorry honey I got to go" and she goes of to see a client who just walked into the car dealership. At home the camera zooms out and you see the guy panicing, he was busy trying to work the washing machine.

Punch line. "Our sales people haven't been home much since we've been running our special sale" blablabla.

If you get anything like this then its time to tell your boss to shove his job where the sun doesn't shine I think.

It's tough but family should ALWAYS come 1st, everything else should be a distant second.
                Last edited by Morne; 27-04-2009, 02:57 AM.
                Kind Regards,
                Morne

Comment

I know exactly where you're coming from (quite literally so...), Dmitry.
                  I drew a line when i realised the OT was not an accident, but was due -in my personal opinion- to mis-management, when not even to purposeful under-staffing.
                  The line i drew was, well in character, a deep one, and i left the company.
                  While i miss most of my co-workers there, i can tell you that THERE ARE companies that deal with OT differently, and in a more humane manner.
                  Sure, some of it comes with the job description, but losing weight because the OT never ends, project after project, means something is a-whack, to me.
                  It's up to what you prioritise the most, i suppose.
                  Money come and go, credits and glory are as passing as a gust of wind, while the life we live is one and one only.
                  That's my line of reasoning, at least.

You have talents, and you shouldn't be afraid of change, in my opinion.
                  Keep looking, and you'll find.
                  Lele
                  Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
                  ----------------------
                  emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
                  The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Originally posted by ^Lele^ View Post
                    I drew a line when i realised the OT was not an accident, but was due -in my personal opinion- to mis-management, when not even to purposeful under-staffing.
                    The line i drew was, well in character, a deep one, and i left the company.
                    While i miss most of my co-workers there, i can tell you that THERE ARE companies that deal with OT differently, and in a more humane manner.
                    Sure, some of it comes with the job description, but losing weight because the OT never ends, project after project, means something is a-whack, to me.
                    It's up to what you prioritise the most, i suppose.
                    Money come and go, credits and glory are as passing as a gust of wind, while the life we live is one and one only.
                    That's my line of reasoning, at least.

You have talents, and you shouldn't be afraid of change, in my opinion.
                    Keep looking, and you'll find.
                    Totally agree with Lele. You are the one with the talent. Be confident of making a decision that is right for you. After everything is said and done, the stuff you will remember is the family and people and similar things, not the work and money...
                    Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

Originally posted by ^Lele^ View Post
                      100% true. Indeed the hours and number of people on shot counts are seriously out of sync.

I have already made my decision
                      Dmitry Vinnik
                      Silhouette Images Inc.
                      ShowReel:

Comment

What was it... ?
                        Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

Originally posted by stevesideas View Post
                          What was it... ?
                          well i put my terms forward: either 8 hour days and reasonable timeframes, or I cannot stay. They will not meet me at any of those...so

Btw, Lele, I lost 8 kg in 2 month while being there.
                          Dmitry Vinnik
                          Silhouette Images Inc.
                          ShowReel:

Comment

Originally posted by duke2 View Post
                            It especially sucks when you put in everything you've got to finish something, and while your employer may or may not show appreciation, they then consider it the norm that you'll do that for damn near every job in the future.

Thankfully my current job isn't like that at all!
                            not only that but...the company looks at its workers much like factory machines. If one breaks down, or becomes funky in any way, it can always be replaced, no matter how many years of loyal service it did.
                            What I'm saying is, and I would never put my self in this kind of situation, others who committed years of harsh labor in order to make the studio a better place for themselves and better studio name in the industry, once they cross the line with the management they will be easily removed, and all those years of hardship go down the drain. I've seen it happen too many times.
                            Dmitry Vinnik
                            Silhouette Images Inc.
                            ShowReel:

Comment

Thats terrible company principles. I bet they have a high turnover rate (of employees). When work starts affecting your health like that you know something is wrong. I cant believe they would just shrug you off like that without any understanding after you have given so much.

I hope it works out for you mate.
                              Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

Working...
                              X