connection limit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• connection limit

anyone here ever try to change their tcpip.sys file? does it really work?

---------------------------------------------------
    MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
    stupid questions the forum can answer.

I've done it. Be honest with you, I didn't have the best of luck as the slaves were all spotty when connecting. Only time I ever had a smooth run was with Windows server. But recently, that machine died.

I upgraded to a linux box/server just a couple of weeks ago and it has been running amazing ever since.
    LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
    HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
    Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

Comment

Check out this post:
      http://www.chaosgroup.com/forums/vbu...ighlight=linux

Comment

As I understand, Windows XP/Vista 32/64 machines networked together have a 10 PC simultaneous connection limit. In order to add additional machines to your render farm, you would need to put your Render Manager on a Windows Server based Machine which opens up the connection limit.

Comment

This is why it would be really nice if backburner ran on linux. or maybe one day chaosgroup will have linux based render manager for vray that runs on linux.
          -----Dwayne D. Ellis-----

Comment

I think the limit is 25 machines for regular windows
            show me the money!!

Comment

I recently saw it refuse connections at around the 10th one.

Best regards,
              Vlado
              I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

I assume this affects DR as well. Has anyone been able to use more than 10 nodes for DR with XP?

Comment

from what i read its 10 per second unless you hotwire your tcpip.sys file. there is a specific one to look for since there are a few files with that name

---------------------------------------------------
                  MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
                  stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

Originally posted by arobbert View Post
                    I assume this affects DR as well. Has anyone been able to use more than 10 nodes for DR with XP?
                    Interestingly, it doesn't appear to be a problem for DR; only for file accesses. I was doing tests with V-Ray RT (which uses the same DR engine as the normal V-Ray) - there was no problem for the rendering itself, the problems appeared only when all the machines tried to access the same files over the network. All machines could communicate perfectly fine for the DR, but some of the machines couldn't load the bitmaps. I also got errors when I tried to open the same shared network folder in Windows Explorer on about 9 machines at the same time.

Best regards,
                    Vlado
                    Last edited by vlado; 01-07-2009, 02:07 PM.
                    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
                      Interestingly, it doesn't appear to be a problem for DR; only for file accesses....
                      That's probably why a Linux file server would be interesting...

Originally posted by dellis View Post
                      This is why it would be really nice if backburner ran on linux. or maybe one day chaosgroup will have linux based render manager for vray that runs on linux.
                      Backburner DOES run on Linux, just read the installation guide. If you have all files and Backburner on a Linux machine you could go around the windows connection limit. Since VRay licensing does not require disk access , this should work with DR and RT too !! I have 9 machines so I have not tried it yet.

Comment

I'll have to give this another whirl. I got the manager to run on Linux...but it wouldn't accept any jobs. It looks like i may have messed up on the installation. Thanks for the heads up though!
                        -----Dwayne D. Ellis-----

Comment

Working...
                        X