Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nuke and GLSL Shaders

I'm testing right now latest nuke. My first node-based compositing program

But I'd like to know how to take advantages of its new glsl shader system ? And also is there any raytracing solutions for a nuke or maybe fusion ?

P.S. Seems I can use Mental mill to create shaders, that nuke can render ?
    Last edited by Paul Oblomov; 16-09-2009, 09:04 AM.
    I just can't seem to trust myself
    So what chance does that leave, for anyone else?
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    CG Artist

if i recall right currently only viewerluts are the only available GPU implementations currently (and only active if you enable them)

Regards,
    Thorsten

Comment

So I can't import for example a simple teapot and use fake-glossy glsl shader on top of it ?
      CG Artist

Comment

nope. Well. not out of the box/straight forward. There is a LOT you can do. But the 3D system is rather basic and best used for things like set extensions and alike. Tho with a bit of proprietary stuff you can do rather neat things. But that's nothing you'd do for fun while testing :P

Besides personally i hardly ever would want to. If it is fake why do it in comp and face all the issues like non-matching MBlur and AA and the clumsyness of the UI for 3d.

Regards,
        Thorsten

Comment

Fusion 6 has a nice 3d system. It kind of reminds me of early 3dsmax
          Chris Jackson
          Shiftmedia
          www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

Hm...

Fusion yeah, interesting stuff they're making now. Can nuke 3d-part can be compared to fusion one ?
            CG Artist

Comment

Not with the v6 one. I dont miss it tho. It doesnt offer modelling does it ? So it makes for a nice presentation. But as soon as you need anything decent you would fire up your 3d tool of choice anyways. One thing that is nice for the shading stuff is use in set extensions and alike to create fake reflections on windows or alike.

What is really a letdown for fusion for me is no proper multilayer exr support (like any app besides nuke :P ). It does allow you to read them, but you need a reader per layer. Nuke is built around a multichannel architecture. And it's incredibly nice once you get the hang of it.

Regards,
              Thorsten

Comment

Originally posted by instinct View Post
                Not with the v6 one. I dont miss it tho. It doesnt offer modelling does it ? So it makes for a nice presentation. But as soon as you need anything decent you would fire up your 3d tool of choice anyways. One thing that is nice for the shading stuff is use in set extensions and alike to create fake reflections on windows or alike.

What is really a letdown for fusion for me is no proper multilayer exr support (like any app besides nuke :P ). It does allow you to read them, but you need a reader per layer. Nuke is built around a multichannel architecture. And it's incredibly nice once you get the hang of it.

Regards,
                Thorsten
                Quoted for agreement, punctuation included.
                Lele
                Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
                ----------------------
                emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
                The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

what about those wicked projections Julien Dias did for Faubourg 36 with Nuke's 3d system!
                  Seen those Thorsten? That was amazing!

Comment

Sure was. But that's also all about clever set extension with low res stuff or card objects.
                    Indeed a VERY nice job but nothing you'd need a fake glossy shader for :P

Regards,
                    Thorsten

Comment

Working...
                    X