Animating 100's of objects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Animating 100's of objects

I've been doing a buildup sequence using all hand keyed objects, and the client wanted it extending by a few blocks - however once copying the objects out it's taking anywhere from 30-40seconds to register each mouse click in max.

Theres 240 objects, all animated, but only 120k polys in the scene.

This cant be normal, right?

Is it because they're instanced/in groups and max is having a hard time keeping track, or could it be something else?

max will be having a hard time computing everything on screen.
    Try setting objects your not editing to "box" display
    Do the frames wake a while to process before rendering?
    Chris Jackson
    Shiftmedia
    www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

It's not too bad, takes a while but it's nothing silly.

Setting display to boxes helps a little, still pretty slow though. Is this just how it goes for doing this kind of work?

Comment

can be.
        How much is in the stack of the objects?
        Is everything collapsed before you do the building up?
        Chris Jackson
        Shiftmedia
        www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

It's mostly basic edit poly, but I think I may have found the culprit.

Some objects are made up of a fair few objects - all edit poly, then grouped, with an edit poly on top of that then instanced 20+ times.

Reckon thats what's throwing it off?
          I could have organised the scene a little better but I started it about 2 hours ago and my deadline for rendering is 6 hours from now...

Comment

that could probably be it.
            Chris Jackson
            Shiftmedia
            www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

Groups are bad in max - adds in another level of tree structure it doesn't want to deal with - parenting / nulls / selection sets are the way to go. Anecdotally max has been bad in dealing with large amounts of objects too - fine with high poly counts, just not high object counts.

Comment

I've been ungrouping my finished parts of the animation and converting them to selection sets and it's steadily getting faster - nearly half way through and it's quite manageable now.

Never got into parents or nulls, i'll have a look into that.

Comment

Working...
                X