stochastic pruning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stochastic pruning

Been reading about Avatar's production techniques and stochastic pruning popped up. I don't know how it compares to LOD rendering, but it seemed like an interesting way to do things nonetheless.

Is this something anyone here has had any experience with? Is it something that could work with vray? At the moment we use proxies to enable use to render huge scenes, but surely it's still loading in the full proxy file regardless of how close it is to the camera - isn't this a bit inefficient?

Regards,

Judderman

where were you reading about it?
    I would be interested in reading about the production
    Chris Jackson
    Shiftmedia
    www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

http://www.cgw.com/Publications/CGW/...her-World.aspx

Here i assume ?

Comment

I think it might be the same article. The one I read was:

http://features.cgsociety.org/story_...?story_id=5434

Comment

Originally posted by judderman View Post
          At the moment we use proxies to enable use to render huge scenes, but surely it's still loading in the full proxy file regardless of how close it is to the camera - isn't this a bit inefficient?
          It is, and we are working on this, although with a somewhat different approach

Best regards,
          Vlado
          I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

interesting......
            Chris Jackson
            Shiftmedia
            www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

The future is looking better every day

Comment

I read in the current cinefex that in order to light the jungle scenes efficiently Weta used a "new" technique called spherical harmonics to determine lighting directions, shadows, etc... (pg. 129). It kind of sounded like an elaborate ambient occlusion setup. It also sounded something like a single bounce irradiance map. Anyways, it sounded interesting, just wondring if anyone know more about it or if it's something that could be adapted to vray.
                www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

Spherical harmonics are not new; they have been used in games for years. (The irradiance map of V-Ray is also a very basic case of this technique.)

Best regards,
                  Vlado
                  I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Sounds good Vlado, look forward to hearing what that will be exactly!

I thought the forests in avatar were stunning, initially I thought parts of it were real, but read later the forests were entirely 3D. Amazing stuff.

Comment

Working...
                    X