Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Modeling Help - Curved Structure Element...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modeling Help - Curved Structure Element...

Hi all,

I am in desperate need for some help/guidance modeling this object. I have a very short amount of time to make this happen. I don't do much modeling of this type so any and all help would be greatly appreciated! I would like to try and keep this somewhat parametric because I am pretty confident that this will change multiple times.

I am attaching a couple of images for reference. The photo is fairly similar to what I need to accomplish. I also have a quick top down of the beams and their layout.

Thanks all!!!
    Attached Files
    Troy Buckley | Technical Art Director
    Midwest Studios

i am afraid this one is one of those youll have to model piece by piece...
    Martin
    http://www.pixelbox.cz

Comment

To keep a BIT of proceduralism i'd to the beams as splines with an extrude/shell combination. That way you can at least control the height and width of the beams globally.

Regards,
      Thorsten

Comment

Attached 2010 file any help? I'd probably go into a little more detail than this, but it's a start.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Canopy01.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	843203
        Attached Files
        www.meetup.com/3DLondon

Comment

I'd rather suggest creating a spline in top-view, attach a beam to it then delete the newly create spline. That way you can force the spline's coordinate system in top view. If you then use an extrude and a shell you should be able to get straight ends as in the pictures. Same for the crossing plates.

Regards,
          Thorsten

Comment

Max parametric script for $25

Try this, a Max parametric script for $25, 2 weeks left on the promo price, you would need to be able/learn Nurbs modelling to 'attach' the segments too, but it works extremely well!

http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/ne...motion-package

laters

spike

Comment

Thanks for the great feedback...I am looking into these options now...I will post up what I have and see if anyone has some suggestions. It is closer to the final shape that it needs to be.
              Midwest Studios

Comment

Okay, I was able to somewhat figure that last shape out. Now the direction has changed completely and they would like the new structure to resemble the following structure. How in the heck do I model that? That shape is going to be similar except that the back side of the flair needs to wrap around and return back to the ground creating a tunnel area.

Any thoughts?

Image for Reference:
                Attached Files
                Midwest Studios

Comment

Rhino and Grasshopper will do it parametric all the way!!
                  http://www.grasshopper3d.com/

the photo the you posted first is very simple, it's and organic shape with a substraction of a grid with vertical extrusions.

Fernando
                  show me the money!!

Comment

I would love to have some guidance working with those two programs since I have never really spent much time in either. They both look to be a little on the intimidating side. The hardest thing I am having problems with is just getting the surface done properly. I will see if I can do the lines quickly inside Max and then post it up. It would be like a shell of what should happen and then go creating the surfaces from there. Once I figure out how to model it properly, then I am assuming that Grasshopper can wrap that surface with the above structure. I am really close to just outsourcing this part because I don't know if I am going to have enough time to learn these tools in time.

Thanks for the great suggestions and I will start working to see what I can do.
                    Midwest Studios

Comment

there are a couple tools for you..... Paracloud modeler or GEM

http://www.paracloud.com/
                      Last edited by flino2004; 07-08-2010, 09:22 AM.
                      show me the money!!

Comment

If the amount of precision needed is not absolute, and the result needs to be flexible, I would go with this:

http://designreform.net/2008/05/3ds-...-patch-deform/

A simpler shape on a patch, I'm using it for curved curtains walls.
                        Alain Blanchette
                        www.pixistudio.com

Comment

Okay, here is my attempt at making this shape. Obviously the inner core is pretty straight forward. However I am having LOTS of problems trying to get the Top surface to blend with the outer wall. Any suggestions? I am uploading the Rhino file if someone is wanting to take a look at it. I still have a ways to go, and I will be trying to take a look at grasshopper a little later on today.

I am not really concerned about super accuracy at this point because the design is in flux. I am just trying to get a diagrid structure that is consistent across the entire surface.

Thanks again for any help and insights! You guys are saving my butt big time!

Edit: http://rapidshare.com/files/41194036...Group.zip.html
                          Last edited by Donald2B; 09-08-2010, 07:03 AM. Reason: Forgot to upload Rhino file. Oops!
                          Midwest Studios

Comment

When you posted the last image I thought you were concerned about the framing structure but if your only interested in the shape you could approach it simply by creating a spline and do an array of the said spline then add a free form deformation modifier to shape the thing. I did a quick example of the what I am talking about. It took me a minute or two to do this.

Adding a surface modifier would skin it.

You can follow the framing of your photo using this method.

hope that helps

Val
                            val valgardson
                            http://www.photorealistic-rendering.com/

Comment

Hey Donald, Mike Brown here. Small world... I was doing the Max modeling with the Branding agency on this project and built the original lattice. Nice to run into you over here

For what it's worth, here's how I modeled the lattice work in about an hour while still keeping the model flexible for Lots of design changes, as I'm sure you're well aware... there were many

1. Built a generic vertical lattice section with Splines
                              2. Make renderable at whatever dimensions necessary
                              3. Add edit poly mod to keep lines orthagonal while bending
                              4. Used the bend modifier to just bend the top half or a little more as it bent down to the ground
                              5. Draw spline out on the ground where the lattice work is going to flow.
                              6. Apply Path Deform to Lattice and align to floor line. - The path deform was the real power behind this approach as I could just tweak a couple settings and/or floor spline to change the whole shape dynamically..
                              7. Copy, move, and tweak stretch parameters, % along path, to make each segment of the lattice.
                              8. Delete un-necessary spline segments to follow the contour of the curved wall in the space we were working with & apply another holistic Path Deform to the whole lattice to get it to bend towards the entry...

*Kept everything stacked on top of the spline so I could always go back and just add delete and modify splines as changes were made and have it ride back up the stack...

I looked at doing Rhino as well but just decided to stay in max due to the time constraints we were working with as that's what I was most familiar with and find Rhino a bit intimidating too

Cheers Donald, hope to run into each other again soon.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by alias_marks; 09-08-2010, 06:25 PM. Reason: added screen shot.

Comment

Working...
                              X